Fault

kylonewton

Cadet
Hi All,

My first post ever on a forum so apologies if I’m in the wrong place for this, or if I sound a bit stupid.

I recently built a system to run Truenas Core for my small business. I use it with the nextcould plugin and I love it.

The system is made up of the following components:

- Intel i5-12600K
- ASUS Prime Z690m plus D4
- 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36
- Samsung 980 PRO 250GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
- 4 no. Seagate IronWolf PRO 4TB NAS 3.5” SATA HDD/Hard Drive

My only issue is whenever I boot the machine, sometimes it starts up smoothly, and sometimes it get either of the following:

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode

If I start the system in safe mode I never get either of these and everything runs smoothly, however I would like to resolve the issue if at all possible.

Lastly, I should point out, I have also tried installing Truenas scale and it seems to run without any issues but I could not figure out how to get Nextcloud running on it properly.

Any help would be much appreciated. If there are no solutions I will just hope that TrueNAS 13 will solve my problems

Thanks all.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode

This can sometimes be caused by memory failures. Even for machines with ECC, I typically suggest a month-long burn-in and testing phase in order to help these sorts of issues shake out.

If you just stuck stuff in a case and then were installing TrueNAS an hour later, I would suggest that you roll back the process a bit and move on to doing some testing, including a minimum of a week's worth of memory tests if you are relying on non-ECC memory.

kylonewton

Cadet
Thanks very much jgreco, your response is much appreciated.

I have taken your advice on board and have started the process of burning in, however initial results do not suggest that there are any issues with hardware (memtest, the sol.net array test in your link and some stress testing on the CPU). I know I have a long way to go yet, but just wondering if the error codes I am getting could be down to a compatibility issue? Perhaps I should have went with something more tried and tested than a 12th gen processor? I have tried going back to some older versions of Truenas and I do not get these error codes (instead, for some reason my network interface does not appear).

I want to do this properly and I am not being impatient, just want to explore all options to get the best results.

Thanks again!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
could be down to a compatibility issue? Perhaps I should have went with something more tried and tested than a 12th gen processor?

Well, perhaps. I've often suggested that going with the latest and greatest can be more trouble than it is worth. It is more fun to let someone else experience all the bumps and bruises of the latest hardware for which they've paid a premium price. NAS rarely requires the latest and greatest, so it can be completely acceptable to sit back and enjoy used hardware at a cheap price and get nearly the same performance..

I have tried going back to some older versions of Truenas and I do not get these error codes (instead, for some reason my network interface does not appear).

Which suggests that you might want to try disabling the network interface, and add in a cheap Intel desktop CT card, or really ANY other semi-supported card, just to see if the problems vanish. If it is a driver issue, that can cause kernel panics.

Speaking as someone who does this professionally, there are just these rounds of research/experiment/update/wait-for-update when using newer hardware, which is why we're so big on providing lists of hardware which have proven successful here in the forums. Doing all the hard work on your own kinda sucks, whether you're a home user or a professional.

kylonewton

Cadet
Hi jgreco, my suspicions were correct. Coincidentally someone else is having the exact same issues with the same hardware:

Thanks very much for taking the time to assist with this - will definitely end up with a more reliable system thanks to your input.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi jgreco, my suspicions were correct. Coincidentally someone else is having the exact same issues with the same hardware:

That's so disappointing. Sorry for your troubles, good luck moving forward. It's very helpful to others to post your discoveries here, and I encourage you to do so.