Fatal Trap with 10gbps SFP+ HP Card

dashtesla

Explorer
So this particular Freenas server has been working nicely and I have used it for a while, it's a Dell R510 server 12x 2TB SAS and 2x 146GB SAS (boot) + 250GB NVMe for L2 Arc Cache (Controller is a Dell H310 flashed to IT Mode connected to the backplane through a sas expander).

Everything has worked as expected but then I tried to add an HP/Emulex card to get 10gbps and expecting it would just 'boot' when i came back to my workstation i couldn't access my shares.

Plugged in a monitor and there was a fatal trap I took a picture so here it goes, after I just removed the card and everything is fine again so any ideas why this card is causing the fatal trap? Should I report this as a bug? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 382
I have seen a number of posts regarding these cards indicating there are driver issues on FreeBSD/FreeNAS. Chelsio is the 10G NIC of choice for FreeNAS, and they can be had very inexpensively on eBay. You didn't mention how much RAM your system has, but that can be an issue with some 10G NIC cards.

dashtesla

Explorer
I have seen a number of posts regarding these cards indicating there are driver issues on FreeBSD/FreeNAS. Chelsio is the 10G NIC of choice for FreeNAS, and they can be had very inexpensively on eBay. You didn't mention how much RAM your system has, but that can be an issue with some 10G NIC cards.
32GB ECC.

I'm in the netherlands usually I get my stuff from germany or the uk any models i can look up on ebay? Also my network is mostly optical so I really need SFP+.

dashtesla

Explorer
Here is one for ~= $30US. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelsio-10...216167?hash=item2abfe70a67:g:C9kAAOSwF5VcJfCr
T320's aren't good for much but FreeNAS now. Windows and VMware have dropped support for them, but FreeBSD/FreeNAS still support them just fine. There are lots of people in the forums using these cards. I use T520's, and they have worked very well for me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-10G...e-x8-Dell-84FDM-Chelsio-S320E-LP/113225374063

Cheapest one in the EU seems to be about 95 GBP quite expensive XD (welcome to europe...)

If you can't pay VAT/Import duties and/or can't wait for them to arrive from china, I might have to upgrade this long-term, If they're good for freebsd i might also be able to get some for pfsense. Thanks for the advice will certainly keep an eye out for them, just for the sake of closure or anyone in the future that land on this thread any chance we can get that card to work or install the driver or is it completely hopeless?

Cheapest one in the EU seems to be about 95 GBP quite expensive XD (welcome to europe...)
Ouch. I would expect that card to work.
just for the sake of closure or anyone in the future that land on this thread any chance we can get that card to work or install the driver or is it completely hopeless?
I guess it isn't impossible, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. These are older cards and FreeBSD isn't a huge audience, so I doubt there is much incentive to the manufacturer.

dashtesla

Explorer
Ouch. I would expect that card to work.

I guess it isn't impossible, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. These are older cards and FreeBSD isn't a huge audience, so I doubt there is much incentive to the manufacturer.
I moved that card to a Windows Server 2019 machine with hyper-v for a different project, FreeNAS works well with Hyper-V (has the option to passthrough physical drives to vm) and that card does have drivers for Windows so I guess that's the closure.

I truly hope manufacturers take FreeBSD a little more seriously specially enterprise equipment is an atrocity not having proper driver support.

Thanks.

Yorick

Wizard
I wouldn’t hold my breath on driver support for FreeBSD ticking up. Unix is a thing in Enterprise, but the FreeBSD flavor of it not so much. A silly amount of stuff is run on Windows and Linux or Docker on Linux, so that’s where it makes sense to allocate dev resources if you’re a hardware manufacturer.