Failure during pool extension, empty drive stuck in pool but unused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikrz

Cadet
So I know this isn't fully how FreeNAS is meant to be set up initially but this is my first time with Freenas. luckily, my data isn't so important that I can't risk losing some.

Freenas version: FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201708240435
CPU: Intel core i3-6100
RAM: 8gb ddr4

I'm running Nightly as I was having issues with a drive import previously and running nightly allowed me to get the update. Is it possible to switch to a non-nightly train? I understand you cannot "downgrade" however I'm not against installing a stable train if there's a method of transferring configuration.

To get started, I had a 4TB red in the nas, and a 4TB to be added to it. I did my research, I understand that there will be no protection against either drive failing with this method. I went through the steps to extend the pool with the empty 4TB and selected "stripe" as the option. The progress bar sat around for a while, then the window closed and all seemed ok, except the console log at the bottom showed two entries of "Operation Not Permitted" on the new drive. I check my dataset list and it's showing it as only having 4~ terabytes of storage. Far less than the 7 something I expected with a stripe. I attempted to research what the issue could be, and found people saying that wiping the drive (the new drive was previously NTFS before I wiped it via Windows) before import can fix the issue, however it seems despite the issues importing FreeNAS just went ahead and striped what it could anyways. So I try the wipe option in freenas's volume manager, and it tells me to unmount my only "volume" (the striped one I suppose). Well, it's too late now to really go back, so I decided to just give it a shot. perhaps FreeNAS got stuck somewhere and detaching and re-importing my volumes will fix it.

I click detach volume on the root entry in the Storage tab, and make sure nothing will be deleted by unchecking both checkboxes shown to me. Then I let it run. About a minute later, I get a CallTimeout error, as seen here:

upload_2017-8-24_21-38-10.png

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201708240435 (3e42018)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://freenas.local/storage/detach/1/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volume_detach
  747.					 cascade=form.cleaned_data.get('cascade', True))
File "./freenasUI/storage/models.py" in delete
  367.				 systemdataset=systemdataset,
File "./freenasUI/storage/models.py" in _delete
  331.				 n.stop(svc)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in stop
  225.			 return c.call('service.stop', what, {'onetime': onetime}, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in stop
  225.			 return c.call('service.stop', what, {'onetime': onetime}, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py" in call
  352.			 raise CallTimeout("Call timeout")

Exception Type: CallTimeout at /storage/detach/1/
Exception Value: Call timeout

upload_2017-8-24_21-38-28.png

I'm currently staring at this window, and I have no idea if my data is still safe or not.

D

dlavigne

Is it possible to switch to a non-nightly train? I understand you cannot "downgrade" however I'm not against installing a stable train if there's a method of transferring configuration.

You can't use a configuration from a nightly on a stable. However, if you started out on a stable and have a saved configuration from that, you can upload it to a stable boot environment.

Did this system start out on the nightly train? If so, you can install a fresh stable and select to install into a new boot environment. This will keep your old nightly and put both in the boot menu. However, you'll have to do your config from scratch (unless you have a saved stable config stored away).

Did this system start out on the stable train? If so, set that stable boot environment as the default in System -> Boot and reboot into it. It will already have the configuration from the point in time you last used that stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.