facebook flashcache ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. ZFS already has block caching.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Trying to compare flashcache's efficiency compared to ZFS' is apples to oranges. ZFS is not like any other file system on the planet. As such, I'd trust ZFS's caching to be best for ZFS in all situations. Not to mention the fact that its imperative that ZFS know about all caching(especially write caches). If you start using more caches(such as RAID controller caches) it can be very destructive to your pool. Even if Flashcache existed I'd call you a raging idiot if you actually tried to use it with ZFS. ZFS is very smart, and its dumb to try to circumvent it. It has the ability to handle its own caching with RAM, L2ARC, and SLOG. Trying to go further is very bad joo-joo.

toto707

Cadet
wow, so your saying that facebook are paying a bunch of geniuses to invent the wheel?
they just could have use zfs cache as this is the smartest cache manager?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi toto707,

No, I think he's saying that Sun (now Oracle) paid a bunch of geniuses to write a file system and what they created is zfs. Facebook paid a bunch of geniuses to write (what appears to be) a tiered storage system....a Facebook solution to a Facebook problem.

Believe it or not, zfs can do something similar with it's l2arc & zil caches (zfs can use fast flash memory devices for it's read & write caches).

Ultimately I suppose if you burned enough coder-hours you could maybe mash Facebook's flashcache into zfs....I think convincing those knowledgeable enough to actually try this would be the tough part for something that may or may not work as well as the existing cache model that is baked into zfs' DNA.

A little research on your part into how zfs works might do wonders in addressing the tone in your previous post.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.