expansion challenge / Synology / will this work?

Oedzesg

Dabbler
Like probably most people here, I love TrueNAS and ZFS, but I encounter a number of challenges within my physical capabilities.

The only place in the house where I can and want to store my servers is the meter cupboard and this is only 400mm deep.

I have always been able to work around this easily, for example my current TrueNAS server is located in a Silverstone CS381.
This case gives me access to 8 physical HDDs and I would now like to expand this.

Within my available 400mm depth, Synology seems to have a big advantage when it comes to a lot of disk capacity with a minimal footprint, but unfortunately Synology is not TrueNAS and ZFS.

I have read a lot about TrueNAS installation on a Synology, but within affordable solutions the hardware does not come close to my current Supermicro X12 with Intel Xeon E-2356G and for newer models it is also almost impossible.

When I started delving further into the Synology Hardware, I came across a number of videos on YouTube where they removed the motherboard from the Synology, here I noticed that the backplane is connected directly via a PCIe.

This gave me the following idea that I would like to hear your opinion on:

* Buy a used 8-bay Synology.
* remove the motherboard
* Place this adapter: Pcie to SAS adapter.
* Plug this card into my current TrueNAS server: HBA Card external
* use something like this cable: SSF-8643 to sff-8087 Cable

As far as I have been able to judge, the Synology HDDs are powered by the backplane, which is directly connected to the PSU.

I'm curious what you think of this idea and whether you can estimate whether this will work with of course the usual performance.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the first question is what is going on in that backplane? Electrically, your idea has some chance of working, but I suspect the overall platform will not be very good.