Expanding the size of a virtual device

climb2bhi

Contributor
I want to increase my storage size on one of my Virtual Devices. I have 3 Virtual Devices in one Pool. One is 6 x 4TB the other two are both 6 x 6TB. I want to expand the 6 x 4TB device to 6 x 10TB. I have purchased the drives but I can not find the instructions on how to do this in the guides.

Thanks,
Climb2bhi.

artlessknave

Wizard
you should not have virtual devices in a pool.

it sounds like you are using a dangerous setup that is highly discouraged, and as you have not posted your hardware, setup, or any of that information that is required, any help is severely limited, and I could very easily be misunderstanding what you mean.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Virtual Devices
you should not have virtual devices in a pool
While that's true of Virtual Disks provided by a hypervisor to a TrueNAS VM, I think the OP actually means VDEV (technically that's short for Virtual Device).

A pool with 3 VDEVs is no problem to have.

The process will vary slightly depending on how many available slots/SATA connections you have free.

If you have one or more free, you can just attach the new larger disk(s) and replace the existing VDEV disks with the new larger ones, taking out the old ones when done.

If you have no spare slots, you need to offline, then physically replace the VDEV member disks one at a time, waiting for each resilver/replace to complete.

climb2bhi

Contributor
Thanks guys. Yes. I have VDEVs. And I apologize I have had this system since it was FreeNAS in a version I believe was less than 10 but due to its stability, I have not needed to learn or mess with it much. I do have 6 free slots as it is a 24-bay server. I just need to know how to inform the machine on what I'm doing and the best steps to do this without data loss. Seems like it should be about 6 or so steps to swap the 6 4TB drives over to the 6 10TB drives. But I don't know what to do and can't seem to find the info in the Guide.

Could I get a link to that part of the Guide or just a quick walk-through of the menu steps?

Thanks again.

Etorix

Wizard
As explaned by @sretalla: Plug in the new drives; in Storage>Pool>(gear)>Status, click on the 3-dot menu of each 4 TB drive to be replaced and select… "Replace".
Since you have 6 free bays for 6 drives to replace, you can initiate all of this in one go—just make sure you identify which "daNN" is what.

climb2bhi

Contributor
Thanks. I think I can figure this out now. What is a "daNN"?

Also, why can't I find this in the online Guide?

Etorix

Wizard
CORE numbers your drives "da0", "da1",… "da25", or "ada0", "ada1" if using plain SATA. (These numbers may change across reboots, so check by serial number or size who's what at this moment before proceeding.)

The procedure is in the manual:
Same as replacing a failing drive, except that nothing is failing and there's no need to offline a healthy drive.