Expand ZFS Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

gahook

Dabbler
I realize this may be a Dell question but I thought I would ask here first. I have a need to expand an existing Raid6 volume. My configuration is as follows:
1. Dell PowerEdge 2950 w/PERC6i RAID controller.
2. 6 Seagate 2 TB drives.
3. I have the Dell PERC controller configured with one virtual disk. Using all 6 disks in a RAID 6 configuration.
4. FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 installed on a USB. The system boots from the USB.
5. The storage volume is the PERC Volume.
Now, I've recived a great deal ($) on 3TB WD RED drives and would like to replace the 2TB. I've already started to see a failure of at least one of the 2TB drives.

The system replaces the drives just fine. I've been able to replace one of the 2TB's with a 3TB and the controller rebuilds just fine. Now I'm at a point where I can replace the remaining one-by-one but i wanted to make sure that i'd be able expand the volume.

Again, this may be a Dell issue as the Volume is managed by PERC. I've seen on the forum where I could just export the volume in FreeNAS and just re-import and i should see the larger volume. But I think I need to expand it with the PERC controller first? I'm not sure how to do this from the console as I don't believe there is a way to install OpenManage on FreeNAS is there?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
FreeNAS has literally nothing to do with your question. I don't think there's anyone around here who has the knowledge you require, unfortunately...

In fact, your setup is a great example of what should never be done with FreeNAS and ZFS. EVER.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You broke one of the cardinal rules with ZFS... you chose to use a RAID controller. You need to stop what you are doing and go read our manual, guides and stickies. They will explain this and alot more. Then you're going to need to backup your data and destroy your pool so you can recreate the pool without the RAID controller. PERCs don't do JBOD properly for ZFS so you *will* need to abandon that card. The stickies and such will provide you with recommended alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.