ESXI and freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb00tas

Dabbler
I tried running freenas on ESXI host and Raw Device Mappings, so my hdd's is connected directly to the VM machine and it runs amazing. Same speed as if its a physical pc..

Before that...

I tried freenas but it was slow.

Then i installed openindiana and napp-it.

Same happens my raidz2 slow too. But then I noticed in the disk load interface in "napp-it" that 1 of my disks was loaded 100% and the others is idle(0%).
I replaced the disk that reported 100% load and speed goes from 10 MB/s to 110 MB/s netcard limit.
So something is wrong with that disk.

I want to know if there is any place in FREENAS I can see load on every single disk ? Like I can in Napp-it, cause that interface in napp-it lead me to the fail.

Well but I also want to tell people that ESXI with RDM (Raw Device Mappings) is working perfect. So now I can setup a system on 1 server instead of 2 server, and RDM does not reqiuere VT-d or anything, i also tried with enabling VT-d and give the freenas server direct access to my hdd's but that didnt work for me with onboard sata controller. Cause all sata ports was in family with intel controller.

bollar

Patron
Specifically which menu selection in napp-it?

Perhaps it's zpool iostat -v

reb00tas

Dabbler
Hmm in the top right corner is circles that indicate loads.

Green / yellow / red.

On CPU, ram, disks and so on. When i hold my mouse over the disk, I could see load on every single disk. And see 1 disk is loaded 100% and others 0%

I like freenas cause its easy to use. And i rand into some bugs with napp-it when destroyed and pool before i destroyed the "ZFS array"

I just want to be sure before I'll use freenas as my solution for my storage server, if it happens again a drive is failing but still running that I can find out wich one is taking my performance down to 10 MB/s

bollar

Patron
It looks like napp-it is using "zpool iostat -v 60 1"

I would agree that FreeNAS is easier to use than any Solaris system plus napp-it. There are some performance trade-offs, though.

What version of napp-it were you using? Gea just released 0.9

reb00tas

Dabbler
I used version 09 of nappit.

But I really love that disk load option the interface got, cause already in my "testing period" it helped me to find a major fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.