Estimate of install time.

canadascott

Cadet
Hi,

I built a freenas server with 6 X 4tb hdds WD red drive and ran through the install off or an thumb drive last night around 10PM. The install still appears to be installing or doing something. Data is constantly flying up my monitor screen and the hdds are active. Is this normal for installation time?. It doesn't appear to be locked up as the data is moving very quickly up the screen as I said. Any imput.

Scott

Something isnt right, the freenas install shouldnt take more than an hour, and more like 20 minutes or so. What does it say its doing? Generating DH params takes the longest, and even that doesnt take real long.

canadascott

Cadet
I'm blaming it on the usb thumb drives at this point. I've rebuilt the install thumb drive. Ive used different USB ports on the MB. I just doesn't seem to be able to finish the mirror drives for the OS. You know after the install asks you to tell it which USB's (mirror) you want to use of the OS... Am I right, it is building them and hasn't booted into the OS, so therefore hasn't look at the hdd's yet. So the hdd should be out of the equation. Also does it matter using USB 3.0 Thumbs drives in USB 2.0 ports?...just slower...right?

canadascott

Cadet
The furthest I've got is

Attachments

• 20191126_214918.jpg
    20191126_214918.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 307
That board is a desktop board too, Im not saying that its the issue, but without server memory and such its going to be hard to nail this one down. You wont get much love around here. Id go into the BIOS of that board and disable everything that you dont need, fancy video, sound, network, USB3, and pull any PCIx cards, etc. Then try a boot. If no dice, id try just one stick of ram, if still no dice, Id consider a proper server board.

Your goal right now is to get that board down to the bare essentials, and if it works, move backwards.

diedrichg

Wizard
Id go into the BIOS of that board and disable everything that you don't need, ... USB3, ...
I thought USB3 was supported since 11.something.

It is, but this is an exercise in basic troubleshooting.

canadascott

Cadet
Yes it is basic troubleshooting...but now knowing an expected time for install allows me to move through step of troubleshooting faster. Not having waiting so long.