Error upgrading from 11.1 U5 to 11.1 U6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Ikard

Cadet
Got this error upgrading from U5 to U6. Hardware is a Dell 6305 SFF (with 5 3.5" drives inside. Just try to visualize that...o_O). Mirrored 4 GB USB thumb drives for boot and a SSD for L2ARC. PlexMediaServer and SMB windows share enabled.

Booting into U6 is expectedly a nightmare of errors.

The error received when applying the updates is as follows:

Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.1.3/system/bootenv/activate/11.1-U6/
Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U5 (8e2a858a1)
Exception Type: CallTimeout
Exception Value:
Call timeout
Exception Location: /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py in call, line 429
Server time: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:04:47 -0700
Traceback
Code:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/system/views.py" in bootenv_activate
  281.			 active = c.call('bootenv.activate', name)
File "./freenasUI/system/views.py" in bootenv_activate
  281.			 active = c.call('bootenv.activate', name)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py" in call
  429.			 raise CallTimeout("Call timeout")

Exception Type: CallTimeout at /system/bootenv/activate/11.1-U6/
Exception Value: Call timeout

It seems Django became unchained. Any ideas?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mirrored 4 GB USB thumb drives
Yeah, that's too small. 8GB is the absolute minimum you should be using. The update might have gotten borked.

Danny Ikard

Cadet
Didn't even think of that... This is my first FreeNAS build. I was previously using Debian to share a SMB.

It's certainly possible. I'll test it on a 64GB drive I have. I WAS able to upgrade to 11.2 BETA2. 11.2 has a nice UI and I was able to set up Plex and SMB just fine, but I'm also struggling with 8GB of RAM. I'm not dedup'ing anything, but it's chews through almost all 7 available GB. I plan on cramming another 16GB of RAM in it next week, so I'll return then.

Thanks for the response Ericloewe!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
8 GB of RAM is the minimum, but RAM will always be close to full, regardless of how much of it you have, so don't rely on that to decide whether you need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.