Enabling Plugin (Jails) Impacts Network Performance

mstang1988

Contributor
I'm running into issues with performance when utilizing truenas with jails. The bridged adapter lowers the throughput of my network significantly.

Running my config with ESX and passthrough (on a server board). On the datastore I've booted a W10 VM. On that VM I'm getting ~1400MB Read (1M blocks, 16GB total transfer, 4 thread) from disk mark and about 1300 MB/s write. Random 4KQ1 is down to about 40MB/s (which isn't surprising). 4KQ1 with 4thread is closer to 100MB/s which is pretty good for 4K random. I'm pulling/pushing about 1GB/s from a Windows VM on another ESX host to this freenas instance with SMB.

When configuring I first enabled LRO, TSO, and TXSUM offloads. I ran into the freebsd TSO bug in bsd 12.0 so has to disable TSO.

The next thing I've run into (and will be starting a dedicated thread on) is as soon as I enable a jail (and get a bridge) my read speed declines to around 300MB/s. This appears related to the bridge. Disabling the plugin and rebooting remediates the problem.

I tried turning off the hardware offloads, same results. I looked at adding a separate unaddressed NIC on the same network and then assigning that to the jails with promiscuous mode but truenas/BSD didn't like that.

I have a desire to have plugins and performance. Any thoughts on the workaround without setting up a separate NIC and separate subnet for plugins?