Email no longer working

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
Before I upgraded my server I had my email alerts working fine, but after I upgraded the hardware it no longer works. I have two-step authentication enabled and I created and am using the app password created by gmail.

The error I get when I try to send a test email:
Code:
Your test email could not be sent: [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known

The only thing I changed (other than the cpu, mobo, and ram) is that I manually assigned an IP address to FreeNAS (from within FreeNAS when I remoted into the server) -- could that be the problem? Should I just assign the IP address from my router and let my server just dynamically get an IP (which will be static since it's set on the router)?

VDuEUeu.png

m2O9nVC.png

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Looks like it may be that "smtp.gmail.com" is not getting resolved. Do you have any entries for a NameServer in [Network] - [Global Configuration]?

You can also try one of their IP addresses (173.194.206.109) instead of "smtp.gmail.com"; but it would be better to make sure DNS is properly configured...

Edit: Forgot to mention that in a shell, you can simply try: nslookup smtp.gmail.com to see what reply you get.

djdwosk97

Patron
Looks like it may be that "smtp.gmail.com" is not getting resolved. Do you have any entries for a NameServer in [Network] - [Global Configuration]?

You can also try one of their IP addresses (173.194.206.109) instead of "smtp.gmail.com"; but it would be better to make sure DNS is properly configured...
I do not.

The only thing I changed (other than the cpu, mobo, and ram) is that I manually assigned an IP address to FreeNAS (from within FreeNAS when I remoted into the server) -- could that be the problem? Should I just assign the IP address from my router and just restore the default network config and let my server just dynamically get an IP (which will be static since it's set on the router)?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you choose to set ip from freenas you need to set nameservers and default gateway while you are at it. Or just use dhcp assignment via Mac address.

djdwosk97

Patron
If you choose to set ip from freenas you need to set nameservers and default gateway while you are at it. Or just use dhcp assignment via Mac address.
Alright, is there any downside to just remoting back into the server and resetting the network config (and letting the router handle the static IP)? Or is there an advantage to manually setting nameservers?

Mirfster

I do not.

The only thing I changed (other than the cpu, mobo, and ram) is that I manually assigned an IP address to FreeNAS (from within FreeNAS when I remoted into the server) -- could that be the problem? Should I just assign the IP address from my router and just restore the default network config and let my server just dynamically get an IP (which will be static since it's set on the router)?

No, just manually add an entry for "Nameserver 1" in the GUI. Usually it is the same as your router (for home networks). So if your router is something like 192.168.1.1, then add that for both the "IPv4 Default Gateway" and "Nameserver 1"

If you are not sure, you can always run "Ipconfig /all" (in a CMD Window) from your Windows machine and get the info from there (if needed).

djdwosk97

Patron
No, just manually add an entry for "Nameserver 1" in the GUI. Usually it is the same as your router (for home networks). So if your router is something like 192.168.1.1, then add that for both the "IPv4 Default Gateway"

If you are not sure, you can always run "Ipconfig /all" (in a CMD Window) from your Windows machine and get the info from there (if needed).
Alright, I specified a Nameserver 1, but it's still throwing the same error

djdwosk97

Patron

djdwosk97

Patron

Mirfster

Curious... 192.168.20.1 is your router? What is the output of "ipconfig /all" from a Windows machine (need to run it in a CMD Window)? If you do not have a Windows machine, then can you confirm that is the IP address (192.168.20.1) you use to access/mange your router (usually done in a web browser)...

djdwosk97

Patron
Curious... 192.168.20.1 is your router? What is the output of "ipconfig /all" from a Windows machine (need to run it in a CMD Window)? If you do not have a Windows machine, then can you confirm that is the IP address (192.168.20.1) you use to access/mange your router (usually done in a web browser)...
It is 20.1, I manually reassigned it.

If resetting the network configuration on the server itself would solve this (and not have any major downsides), then I have no problem doing that since I can just let my router handle assigning a static IP to the server (that's what I did before I upgraded it).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
For name server you can also just use Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

djdwosk97

Patron

Mirfster

It is 20.1, I manually reassigned it.

If resetting the network configuration on the server itself would solve this (and not have any major downsides), then I have no problem doing that since I can just let my router handle assigning a static IP to the server (that's what I did before I upgraded it).
You can do that. Then if you want (once it is all working) you can open a shell and do "ifconfig" to see what the setting should be for DNS and GateWay.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Set it back up with dhcp, that is how I do it.

Or you can jump on the cli and see if you can ping your gateway, then 8.8.8.8, then google.com.

djdwosk97

Patron
Set it back up with dhcp, that is how I do it.

Or you can jump on the cli and see if you can ping your gateway, then 8.8.8.8, then google.com.
I deleted and reset the network interfaces but it's still throwing the same error. Should I reset the factory defaults (option #8) -- what exactly does that reset -- does that reset all the console settings or all the FreeNAS settings or both?

I feel like I changed one of the other network settings in the console, but I'm not sure which one or how to fix/restore them. (The only thing I want changed in the console page is the default root password -- everything else can be reset to defaults).

Last edited:

djdwosk97

Patron
You can do that. Then if you want (once it is all working) you can open a shell and do "ifconfig" to see what the setting should be for DNS and GateWay.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
Any idea in response to my above post?

Status
Not open for further replies.