Easy way of making copies of a folder, there has to be some easy way to do this!

John Falk

Dabbler
I've moved from using an Asustor NAS to TrueNAS Core. Mainly because the Asustor wasn't very quick and I had a complete PC in pieces laying around (Core i5 7600, 32GB RAM, SSD for the OS installation and two WD Red 2TB for the storage pool) that I could set up to run TrueNAS. It works really well, but now when I want to do some more advanced things I get lost in options, and when I read about it I just get more lost.

I want my Documents folder on my Windows PC backed up automatically in real-time. I have solved that with FreeFileSync. I created a batch file and run it in RealTimeSync. It works as I want it to. I backup my Documents folder to a folder on the NAS /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/1-Realtime

I want that folder copied to /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/2-Daily and to /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/3-Weekly
The 2-Daily folder should be the files in 1-Realtime copied at midnight every day and 3-Weekly should be the files in 1-Realtime copied every Sunday.
There has to be some easy way to do this!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Sounds like a couple of Rsync tasks would do it.

John Falk

Dabbler
I've been fiddling with Rsync but I'm getting nowhere. Where do I do that and how?

John Falk

Dabbler
I found this: https://clubmate.fi/sync-large-quat...s-between-local-machine-and-server-with-rsync

Would this work?: rsync -zaP --delete /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/1-Realtime /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/2-Daily

Do I need to enable SSH? I tried that but got stuck on the private key, I'm just a total noob, sorry.
I want it to run this on a schedule, where do I add do that? There are so many options so I get lost.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Do I need to enable SSH?
Not for a local rsync.

I want it to run this on a schedule, where do I add do that? There are so many options so I get lost.

If you just want to run a command at a time, a cron job is what you would use. (Tasks | Cron Jobs on the left menu)

The command you quoted has spaces in the path, so you need to escape those or put quotes around the whole path.

Like this:
rsync -zaP --delete /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep\ Thought/Documents/1-Realtime /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep\ Thought/Documents/2-Daily
or this:
rsync -zaP --delete "/mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/1-Realtime" "/mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep Thought/Documents/2-Daily"

You should play around with getting it to work in the shell first to the point you're happy, then start looking at the cron job (which will likely need the full path to rsync to launch correctly)

Like this:
/usr/local/bin/rsync -zaP --delete /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep\ Thought/Documents/1-Realtime /mnt/Tank/Shares/Backups/Deep\ Thought/Documents/2-Daily

Last edited:

sretalla