Dual Sharing a Single Volume: Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all, I have a Proliant Microserver with 4 1tb drives in a raid 5 array. This is providing around 3tb of space that I plan to use for a file server/VMWare storage space.

Is there a way to have this single volume that is presented to FreeNAS have 2.5tb assigned to be shared to all Windows devices, and the remaining .5tb be assigned to house VMWare VMs as shared storage?

I debated using a single NFS share, that could be accessed by both Windows and VMWare, but prefer to keep things seperated if at all possible...

Any ideas on how this could be done? I have no preference on how I present the shared storage to VMWare, either iSCSI or NFS works fine for my setup.

louisk

Patron
Is there a reason you can't create a volume for CIFS and a volume for NFS?

Durkatlon

Patron
In ZFS you would just create datasets on your volume, which can have separate quotas etc if you want to enforce that kind of stuff. However you mention your volume is RAID5, not RAIDZ. If that means it's UFS I'm not sure if the concept of datasets translates over.

Once you have 2 datasets, you can share one out over CIFS and the other over NFS if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.