Dual Expander with Dual HBA =fail over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Hello everyone,
This is my First contact with dual expander on supermicro chasis SC216BE2C-R920LPB SAS3 12Gb/s 2x Expander. I am hoping someone could help me clarify a few questions.

The manual states that multiple HBAs are used to achieve failover protection. Linux MPIO software must be installed and correctly configured to perform.

Q1. Does Freenas support dual expander fail over with Multiple HBAs? where and how to setup?
2. if only 2 HBAs are used , I will have throughput bottleneck with all flash setup. and dual expander should have no problem working with more than 2HBAs? Does extra configurations are needed?

Thank everyone

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
if only 2 HBAs are used , I will have throughput bottleneck with all flash setup. and dual expander should have no problem working with more than 2HBAs? Does extra configurations are needed?
Can you give us a rundown on what you plan to do here? It is difficult to answer theoretical questions without some information to go on other than just what chassis you are thinking to use.
What SAS controller are you looking to use with it?
What kind of SSDs are you thinking to use?
How many SSDs?

Caffe Mocha

Explorer
Hello Chris
Thank you for your reply, our plan is to do HA setup for our Exsi but for vmware to do HA, they need a shared storage, so freenas is going to do just that.
as much as I would like to use trueNas to be our storage system but due to lack of local supplier (Asia) and pricing issue.
anyway, because it's going to be the storage system for our Exsi, I would like it to have fail over capability and or spare parts ready. hence the dual expanders.
please let me know if you need more informations. Thank you again

SSD: Mircon S630DC 960G x 12 <----with dual port capability maybe more in the future
HBA: IBM M1215 Flashed to IT mode * 2 or 3 cards
CPU: E5-2630 v3
Ram 64g initially
FC controller Qlogic 2562 8G
motherboard: Supermicro X10DRH-iT (10G network on board)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.