Drive mysteries during burn-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfakhrai

Cadet
I have 6x4TB WD Reds, just out of the box, and I'm burning them in per the thread in the How-To section. After I had started badblocks on them all simultaneously, I noticed that ada0 through 4 were running at about 150MB/s but ada5 was around 70. I chalked it up to the C226 chipset not being able to saturate all the SATA lanes equally. But after about 37 hrs, the other drives are on the read/compare portion of pass 3 and ada5 has exited badblocks with no message after finishing the write portion of pass 1. So now I'm running a long SMART test on ada5, although previous tests came up with no errors.

So what's going on with ada5? I have an ASRock Rack E3C226D2I motherboard, is the SATA controller not working for that port? Is there a log that badblocks writes to so I can figure out why it exited silently? And finally, is the drive just bad? Thanks in advance.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Any chance you did the non-destructive write test on ada5 by mistake? By default that does only one pass.

rfakhrai

Cadet
No I used the command identical to the other drives. Also, it never even finished pass 1, exited after the write phase had hit 100% without moving on to the read/compare phase.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Run smart tests and rerun the badblock tests. See if behavior repeats.

Ryan Allen

Explorer
Did everything go well? I'm getting ready to buy my rig and I'm doing all the homework I can think of before I start in!

Status
Not open for further replies.