Drive Configuration

CCA

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to server configuration and would appreciate your help. My near term goals for this home server are:
  1. BlueIris NVR
  2. Network storage
  3. Backup camera and network storage data
  4. Firewall
  5. Remote access to cameras
  6. VPN security at both ends
Here is what I have so far:

Hardware:
PC: HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini, Quad-Core i7-6700T 16GB DDR4,1TB SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit​
Added Drive: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD with Heatsink 2TB PCIe Gen 4 NVMe M.2​
Software Running:
ProxMox on NVMe drive​
Virtualized Windows 10 pro machine​
Virtualized Ubuntu Machine​
Virtualized TrueNAS Core​
Current Drive Configuration:
Kingfast 1TB SSD pooled in TrueNAS and accessible via other computers on network. This was done using qm set command in ProxMox shell.​
I'm pleased with the progress I have made so fare but am a bit lost as to how to proceed with the drive configurations.
  1. Can I use the NVMe drive to back up/mirror the SATA SSD or do I need more drives (maybe using a dual USB NVMe enclosure)?
  2. Is a TrueNAS mirror the same as a Raid0?
  3. Since ProxMox is on the NVMe drive, can I still use it for camera storage?
  4. Should I use drive sharing across the VMs or assign them individually?
  5. How do I backup the server configuration itself?
Much Appreciated!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is a TrueNAS mirror the same as a Raid0?
No, it's similar to RAID1.

Since ProxMox is on the NVMe drive, can I still use it for camera storage?
Not with TrueNAS. Of course, if you're running BlueIris under Proxmox itself, rather than under TrueNAS (which is the only sensible way to go if your TrueNAS installation is virtualized anyway), you probably can, but you should ask on the Proxmox forums rather than here.
Kingfast 1TB SSD pooled in TrueNAS and accessible via other computers on network. This was done using qm set command in ProxMox shell.
This is not likely to be a safe configuration.

CCA

Cadet
Thank you for your replies.

Yes, I will install BlueIris on the Windows virtual that I spun up in Proxmox and will inquire elsewhere for how to store the video data.

Is qm set configuration is not likely safe because it is not backed up or for another reason?

Do you have any suggestions on how I configure my drives and what the minimum number of additional drives would be?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is qm set configuration is not likely safe because it is not backed up or for another reason?

CCA

Cadet
Thanks. I read through that posting, but am not familiar with many of the terms in it. I don't think my hardware will support PCI-Passthrough, so the way I did it seems like the only option. I'd like a simple data storage location for personal use on the same computer that I am using for my camera nvr. I have two drives now, but am willing to buy more if that is needed. They will need to be connected by USB since the computer has no more drive bays. Do you know where I can find a primer with step by step instructions on how to do this? If I can't make this work, then I will just create drive partitions in Windows and set up a network drive on one of them. BlueIris runs on Windows. But that is a lot less fun and doesn't offer all the flexibility of virtual machines for things like hosting mobile music or creating a file ftp.

danb35

Hall of Famer

lesserthere

Dabbler
I have BI NVR also and am planning to move it to a windows vm on proxmox with truenas on a vm also.
Good point to add to my checklist for BI as I have various folders - 250gb for recordings, another for alerts etc
I have 6 drives on my motherboard so far plus the ssd nvme 1tb.
I'll probably pass through a smaller 500gb hdd (either sata or usb) to the windows vm for a mass storage recording device and keep the OS on a smaller boot partition say 256GB which will be consumed on the nvme I understand.