Don't think i can use TrueNAS

gordon webb

Cadet
I need a new NAS to provide a backup for my Netgear NAS so I have repurposed an old windows PC.
I installed TrueNAS Core but when I backed up my Netgear NAS there were numerous reported errors in the backups. I eventually found that this was because the Netgear NAS used APF and DLNA protocols as well as the SMB protocol and TrueNAS Core cannot handle multiprotocol shares.
I then found that TrueNAS Scale does have the ability to have multiprotocol shares so I downloaded it and tried to install it on my device. However it would not install saying that the Microcode on my processor needed to be at least version 22 and my processor was only 19. There are no Bios upgrades available form the motherboard manufacturer or microcode update downloads for my processor from Intel.
Thus my hardware cannot be used for multiprotocol backups.

I will either need to buy new hardware or use different software unless anyone has any ideas?

I thought i should post this to save other people time who may have this problem.

Gordon Webb

chuck32

Guru
Does the Netgear nas support rsync?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I need a new NAS to provide a backup for my Netgear NAS so I have repurposed an old windows PC.
"an old windows PC" is generally not a good platform for TrueNAS.

I installed TrueNAS Core but when I backed up my Netgear NAS there were numerous reported errors in the backups. I eventually found that this was because the Netgear NAS used APF and DLNA protocols as well as the SMB protocol and TrueNAS Core cannot handle multiprotocol shares.
I fail to understand how that might lead to errors in the backups. You are using only one protocol to transfer the data in some batch operation, right?
While locking and possibly file name consistency might be problematic when accessing the same share via both SMB and AFP at the same time, e.g. two desktop systems trying to open the same MS Office document, in a backup operation normally each backup client writes to a dedicated share.

I then found that TrueNAS Scale does have the ability to have multiprotocol shares so I downloaded it and tried to install it on my device.
Well, TrueNAS SCALE does not support AFP at all, so that is that. :wink:

Do you really need AFP? I switched all my shares from AFP to SMB some years ago, because even Apple have deprecated AFP. But anyway even with AFP one should be able to "manage around" the issues by avoiding concurrent access for backups.

However it would not install saying that the Microcode on my processor needed to be at least version 22 and my processor was only 19. There are no Bios upgrades available form the motherboard manufacturer or microcode update downloads for my processor from Intel.
Thus my hardware cannot be used for multiprotocol backups.

I will either need to buy new hardware or use different software unless anyone has any ideas?
I suggest you reconsider your choice of hardware first and then - if you like - describe your usage scenario in some more detail, so people on the forum can come up with helpful suggestions.

HTH
Patrick

Last edited:

gordon webb

Cadet
Hi Patrick
Thanks for your helpful reply.
As far as my existing hardware goes the Asus motherboard has up to 6 Sata 6 connections, an I5 processor, 16 Gb of ram and a 256 gb ssd. It would be ideal hardware except for the problem of TrueNAS Scale not being happy with the I5 processor.
I checked with Asus and they have confirmed that they have no software upgrades for my motherboard or for the processor and suggest I look at new hardware or other NAS software.
As for the errors I was getting with TrueNAS Core, these were errors shown on the log on my Netgear NAS and listed all the files that could not be transferred to my TrueNAS share. The report was 30 pages long and included files which were video files(.mp4), .jpg files, .cr2 files, .arw files, .xml files, .png files and sparcebundle files from an apple backup. I assume these errors were because the SMB share could not accept these and I cant add more protocols to the share.
So I am going to try other NAS software to see if it is able to be more successful - otherwise i will need to upgrade my hardware.

Kind regards

Gordon Webb

Stux

MVP
TrueNAS is capable of serving an SMB share that is fully Mac compatible but you may need to use a Mac to transfer from the AFP share to the TrueNAS share for full fidelity.

The SMB share needs to be setup with right configuration

Stux

MVP
TrueNAS has the ability to serve an SMB share that is completely compatible with Mac systems. However, to achieve full fidelity, you may need to use a Mac to transfer data from the AFP share to the TrueNAS share. It's important to ensure that the SMB share is configured correctly to facilitate this process.

Thanks for the rewrite ChatGPT.