does zfs and ecc ram automatically check itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpherbst

Dabbler
to make my question more clear:

If i simply have a zfs raidz2 and ecc ram and just enable smb and use it as a file server between windows on my laptop and the freenas server, is everything safe?

or do i need to enable scheduling of some freenas operations like scrub or any others I'm not familiar with?

pro lamer

Guru
Scrubs "check and repair zfs". People here often change the default scrub frequency to more frequent. I can't remember if scrubs are on initially or they need to be enabled explicitly.

ECC RAM checks for errors on access. There are some statistics available afterwards regarding count of errors fixed but I don't know where.

EDIT:
And the long SMART tests. Others here often/sometimes set their frequency to same as scrubs.

Scrub should not be run on the same time as SMART long test.

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
To follow up on pro lamer's post, scrubs are enabled for all pools by default and will run every 35 days. SMART tests are not enabled by default, but it's recommended you set them up to run every so often (2-4 weeks) on all applicable drives. ECC memory takes care of corrections behind the scenes and requires no user interaction.

Everything should be "safe" assuming you keep an eye on SMART reports, drive temps, etc. I have a reporting script here (based on work from some other forums members) that will email you the result of SMART tests and scrubs: https://github.com/edgarsuit/FreeNAS-Report

Set this script up to run on a cron job every time a scrub or SMART tests happens so you know if your system is about to fall over.

pro lamer

Guru
Optionally you can also consider a UPS and some off-site backups (3-2-1 backup rule).

Having sąd said that I need to confess: To me, a noob, the above (321 and UPS) seem sophisticated and I am ashamed feel confused having recommended it and I still can't believe I posted it but I think I will have them for myself too.

Sent from my mobile phone

danb35

Hall of Famer
Set this script up to run on a cron job every time a scrub or SMART tests happens so you know if your system is about to fall over.
...or just set up email properly on your FreeNAS box, and it will email you itself without the need for a separate script.

Status
Not open for further replies.