Does bridge interface handle failover automatically?

eroji

Contributor
I created a bridge interface br0 which both ports on my NIC are member of. The static IP is configured on the bridge interface and I only have 1 of the ports on the NIC currently connected. My question is, if I connect both ports to the same network (VLAN), would it automatically handle failover? Meaning if one of the ports fail for whatever reason the other one should take over?

1669843698641.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No. It would create a loop, and would probably cause your network to crash. This is what Spanning Tree Protocol is designed to prevent. If you want failover, you need to use a bond with active/failover. I don't know much about this on Linux so that's all I'm going to say.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Better approach is Link Aggregation.. not bridging multiple interfaces.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you activate STP this is IMHO going to work as intended. You will utilize only one link at a time, though. Don't connect both ports without STP - this will create a loop and bring down your network as @jgreco correctly stated.

I don't know how to do this in Linux/TrueNAS SCALE, sorry. I could tell you for CORE.

@jgreco @morganL You can have failover - although not aggregation - with just STP, even connect to different switches without multi-chassis LACP etc. I do agree that you should know what you are doing. Don't let your TrueNAS accidentally become the root bridge, for example. I would not do it with unmanaged switches where I cannot checkt the state of STP. With an all IOS environment - why not? We have run a hub-and-spoke switch topology with STP for years.