DockerVM runs but access to console fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

-fun-

Contributor
So I got my DockerVM / RancherUI running. Next step according to the guide would be to connect to the VM using cu. The UI provides "State: RUNNING Com Port: /dev/nmdm1B". So I execute:

cu -l /dev/nmdm1B

As a result I get a login prompt to a completely different VM!o_O

After iohyve came to FreeNAS - without UI support back then - I created 2 VMs. One is a template based on an ArchLinux distribution and the other is a tvheadend VM based on this template. The above cu command provides the login prompt to the tvheadend VM. Originally I would connect to this VM via ssh or using iohyve console tvheadend.

How can I connect to the new DockerVM?

In /dev I can see nmdm1A and nmdm1B. Neither works.

Can the existing VMs coexist at all with the new stuff? Or should I remove the old VMs from the system and if so, how would this be done?

Yusuf Limalia

Patron
So I got my DockerVM / RancherUI running. Next step according to the guide would be to connect to the VM using cu. The UI provides "State: RUNNING Com Port: /dev/nmdm1B". So I execute:

cu -l /dev/nmdm1B

As a result I get a login prompt to a completely different VM!o_O

After iohyve came to FreeNAS - without UI support back then - I created 2 VMs. One is a template based on an ArchLinux distribution and the other is a tvheadend VM based on this template. The above cu command provides the login prompt to the tvheadend VM. Originally I would connect to this VM via ssh or using iohyve console tvheadend.

How can I connect to the new DockerVM?

In /dev I can see nmdm1A and nmdm1B. Neither works.

Can the existing VMs coexist at all with the new stuff? Or should I remove the old VMs from the system and if so, how would this be done?

Silly Question by can you send a Screenshot of your VM page?

-fun-

Contributor
Sure. Not a silly question. it's rather a silly problem. :smile:

My VM:
RancherUI.png

These are the attempts to connect to the VM. Note the RancherUI VM is not listed with iohyve list, and how all attempts result in connection to the tvheadend VM:

Shell.png

After stopping the tvheadend VM I still cannot connect to the RancherUI VM. Very weird.

Btw. I noticed I can't stop the RancherUI VM. Just doesn't work.

-fun-

Contributor
yes, exactly the same.

KrisBee

Wizard
1. Why would DockerVM (rancheros based) be in the iohyve list? It won't be, because your DockerVm was not created/started using iohyve.

2. I'd suggest stopping all VMs. Check iohyve VM properties to see what consoles they are using as there could be a clash.

iohyve conlist

Clear iohyve consoles if necessary.

iohyve conreset

Doublecheck:

ls -lah /dev/nmdm*

3. Now start DockerVm only and ssh into your FreeNAS box and check using htop or ps if you see a "grub-bhyve" process running with high CPU usage . If so, then your DockerVM is not setup correctly. Otherwise, your DockerVM may actually run correctly and try to connect to it via console. ( You can also ssh to your DockerVm at this stage if you know its IP - ssh rancher@<ip-address> )

4. Change iohyve VM properties to use non-clashing consoles. Re-start iohyve VMs.

-fun-

Contributor
1. Ok, understood

2. Done / stopped. iohyve conreset did not work but iohyve set <name> con= worked. No /dev/nmdm* remaining.

3. Actually there was a CPU hogging grub-bhyve process. I killed that one and recreated the DockerVM from scratch. After starting this an image download was NOT reported / required. But there was again a 100% CPU grub-bhyve process. Connecting to this VM was not possible.

So according to your post there must be a configuration error in the VM? I checked this over and over again. Can there possibly be some other problem outside of the VM configuration?

KrisBee

Wizard
I would check the rancher img has downloaded correctly, you should find it under a hidden .bhvye folder in your pool.

One common misunderstanding is that the path of the DockerVM raw file is a pre-existing dataset mountpoint + name of an image file that does NOT pre-exist, e.g:

/mnt/myPool/DockerVm/anything.img

-fun-

Contributor
Instead of checking the file (how could I do that?): Can I just delete this image file and start from scratch?

I configured /mnt/flospool/vm-storage/rancherui.img, where /mnt/flospool/vm-storage is a dataset.

-fun-

Contributor
Got it, uncompress failed.
So the download consistently failed. (This may be a problem in FreeNAS.) I retrieved this file with wget in few seconds without any problems into the required folder and ...

... it works! I'm seeing the RancherOS Logo right now.

Thank you!

kernalzero

Dabbler
3. Actually there was a CPU hogging grub-bhyve process. I killed that one and recreated the DockerVM from scratch. After starting this an image download was NOT reported / required. But there was again a 100% CPU grub-bhyve process. Connecting to this VM was not possible.

I'm having a similar issue. how did you get to your resolution?

Attachments

• Selection_001.png
    Selection_001.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 305

-fun-

Contributor
I'm having a similar issue. how did you get to your resolution?

The problem was caused by an incomplete download. Once this download worked (I did this manually, see above) this worked.

However independently from this problem I experienced occasional (2) situations where the VM consumed all virtual memory and blocked FreeNAS completely after all swap space was used up. I never solved that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.