Docker/VM NTFS write

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know FreeNAS is not supposed to be used to write into NTFS FS. I also know that USB Passthrough, even through PCI, is not fully supported yet without hacking around. But consider that you have no other option.. you need to write into a NTFS device (USB/Thunderbolt/eSata..) and you can't get away with samba share... how would you do it?

Would it be possible to mount the NTFS device for writing on FreeNAS and map that volume to a VM/Docker running an OS able to write on that FS so the VM's OS makes the actual writing ?

If that's not possible, maybe create some kind of virtual ntfs volume inside the VM and use something like `ntfsclone` ?

Would any strategy/workaround work or FreeNAS really isn't incompatible with ntfs devices for writting until bhyve fully supports USB Passthrough ?

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
As far as I know, the NTFS driver included with FreeNAS is read-only. Even then, it's used only to import data from a NTFS volume to a dataset.

I have read somewhere in this forum that indeed you can mount it for writing manually, but the outcome of the actual writing was disastrous due FreeNAS limitations. So, I wonder if the problem is with FreeNAS/FreeBSD writing to that volume... maybe if the write instructions came from a NTFS able OS inside a VM.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
NTFS is a proprietary filesystem. If you want to write to it safely, you have to go through Microsoft. FreeBSD uses the same FUSE NTFS filesystem as Linux, with the same problems. So create a VM with Windows. Or use a small laptop running Windows as an NTFS drive. Or connect the external USB NTFS drive to a laptop and then copy the data from the FreeNAS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.