Docker on TrueNAS Core

cdlogan

Dabbler
Greetings, all.

I'm trying to run Docker on Truenas Core through a VM so I can run Calibre-Web (the plugin doesn't work either). I have had difficulty getting it to work, as I am not terribly familiar with Linux (took me 3 weeks to get a 7DTD server to autostart through Steam on a VM). I'm looking for where to start on this. Getting Docker running would be nice for the future, but getting Calibre-Web running is priority. I don't want to have to get a Pi running just for this.

Thanks for any help!

so I can run Calibre-Web (the plugin doesn't work either).

Are you familiar with creating and managing a jail?

There's a FreeBSD port for Calibre, which can be installed via the binary "pkg" system.

cdlogan

Dabbler
Are you familiar with creating and managing a jail?

There's a FreeBSD port for Calibre, which can be installed via the binary "pkg" system.
I've got another server running through a jail. I can try looking for that port and installing it. Does it have a wiki for navigating it?

I've got another server running through a jail.
I'm not sure what that means?

You mean that you already have another jail running on your TrueNAS Core server?

Ah, jeez. Getting Calibre-Web to work in a FreeBSD jail is not a walk in the park.

No wonder there was a "Community Plugin" to automate it.

:confused:

Last edited:

cdlogan

Dabbler
I'm not sure what that means?

You mean that you already have another jail running on your TrueNAS Core server?
I have 2 jails running already. One was through the Plex plugin, the other manually set up for something else.
Ah, jeez. Getting Calibre-Web to work in a FreeBSD jail is not a walk in the park.

No wonder there was a "Community Plugin" to automate it.

:confused:
That's what I've figured out. It seems that the plugin doesn't always work, I've never been able to get it operational :-(

pschatz100

Guru
To the OP @cdlogan: Keep in mind that TrueNAS CORE is built on FreeBSD and not Linux. While there are similarities between FreeBSD and Linux - they are NOT the same.

I'm not surprised that the plugin doesn't work. From the very beginning, plugins have been problematic and unreliable. FreeBSD jails are great, but it is best to create and manage them manually.

When I did a search for Calibre-Web FreeBSD, I found some guides for installing Calibre-Web in a jail. I haven't tried them, but they look like less work than creating a VM and installing Docker. At the end of the day, an application running in a FreeBSD jail will be more resource efficient than one running in a VM.

Good luck.