DIY Storage Server

softwaremaniac

Dabbler
Hello!

I'm running a company and have an abundance of data to back up (both personal and business related).

I've been relying on cloud storage, but it does not come close to fulfilling my needs.

I want to create cold backups of my current drives and store them as well as add new material as I gather it. OpenVPN will be configured as remote access is essential. It will be located in my office space. After internal discussion, we've determined that the optimal amount of storage for now would be around 30TB, 25 of which would be mine and the remaining 5 would be for my colleagues.

As far as the hardware configuration is concerned, this is what we are considering:

Asus Prime H510M
Intel Pentium Gold G6405
16GB RAM
iGPU
Gigabyte 450W 80+ Bronze
Fractal Design Define R7 (We are also considering the smaller Fractal Design Node cases, a server rack is out of the question for now).

As for the drives, I've always been a fan of WD, but had two fail recently (external), I think I will go with either Iron Wolf Pro or WD Gold 18TB. I have an old 120 GB SSD drive which I can used to install TrueNAS on.

The goal for us is to store everything on the drives and have it readily accessible, with the ability to upload it to Nextcloud for external sharing when required.

The network is the problem. I am the only one with a reasonably fast network, 300/300 DIA, so it will be housed at my place. My team members have extremely poor network connections (we live in the rural area of the country). Down the road I would like to aim to go for 10 Gbe internally and purchase a 10 Gbit card and a 10 Gbit switch.

I am uncertain about which RAID type to choose, the goal is to keep me from worrying about my data and storage issues in general for quite some time, which means I want to be able to both store new and keep old on there.

In addition to this setup, I have a separate QNAP NAS device with currently a single 10TB WD Red Pro drive in it.

Would it be possible for us to:

a) Have a file server to and from which we can upload/download files
b) Have a Nextcloud plugin, so I can maintain the Nextcloud server myself and self-host it on the same hardware

Additionally:
c) Do I need a dedicated hard drive for Nextcloud to keep it separate from the cold storage/backups?
d) Is TrueNAS optimal for this scenario?
e) Can we have it operate dead silent (as much as possible, I know that it's going to be hard with the spinners in)?
f) Would it make sense to go straight to 10 Gbit for internal transfers?

Thank you,

Mihael

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am uncertain about which RAID type to choose, the goal is to keep me from worrying about my data and storage issues in general for quite some time, which means I want to be able to both store new and keep old on there.
If you're not planning Virtual machines (it seems not) then RAIDZ is the best choice.

You mention 18TB disks, so that rules out RAIDZ1 from recommendation, meaning RAIDZ2 is the right option unless you want additional data protection at additional cost (RAIDZ3).

This only makes sense with 4 disks or more. If your plan was for fewer disks (due to cost), a mirror would be a consideration, but losing out on the possibility to fail more than one disk at a time.

Would it be possible for us to:

a) Have a file server to and from which we can upload/download files
b) Have a Nextcloud plugin, so I can maintain the Nextcloud server myself and self-host it on the same hardware
Yes and yes.

Additionally:
c) Do I need a dedicated hard drive for Nextcloud to keep it separate from the cold storage/backups?
d) Is TrueNAS optimal for this scenario?
e) Can we have it operate dead silent (as much as possible, I know that it's going to be hard with the spinners in)?
f) Would it make sense to go straight to 10 Gbit for internal transfers?
c) No
d) It can certainly do the job... so can a QNAP or Synology and many other NASware distros of Linux... you be the judge on what's better/cheaper (TrueNAS may be better for a number of reasons, but may not be cheaper for the same or similar effective result and with CORE, you're not buying support, you're relying on people like me giving you help for free).
e) Up to your build quality, physical environment and if you want to futz around with fan scripts or let your disks run hot.
f) transfers from/to what? if there's 10 Gbit in other devices you have, there's some logic there... be aware that 10 Gbit speed will potentially highlight a bunch of other performance bottlenecks, so if you aren't prepared to consider all components and make sure that you're using the right gear and settings in all parts, don't bother.

Gigabyte 450W 80+ Bronze
If you want quiet, consider a little higher and go for platinum.

Asus Prime H510M
You won't be able to control fan speeds with scripts on this board... you'll need to go with supermicro or Asrock Rack (with IPMI built-in) for that.

Intel Pentium Gold G6405
I don't think this CPU supports ECC RAM. It's a recommendation, so consider it. If you care enough about your data to be using ZFS, you should probably care enough to be using ECC RAM too.

Depending on your "working set" (the data that you use and change on a day to day basis), this might be OK, assuming the working set is around 5-10 GB.

If your workloads are data-heavy (video/photo editing or something like that), consider a lot more RAM and think more seriously about 10 Gbit for yourself... obviously for the remote colleagues, no difference for them either way as the Internet will bottleneck them first.

Last edited:

softwaremaniac

Dabbler
If you're not planning Virtual machines (it seems not) then RAIDZ is the best choice.

You mention 18TB disks, so that rules out RAIDZ1 from recommendation, meaning RAIDZ2 is the right option unless you want additional data protection at additional cost (RAIDZ3).

This only makes sense with 4 disks or more. If your plan was for fewer disks (due to cost), a mirror would be a consideration, but losing out on the possibility to fail more than one disk at a time.

No VMs or anything else. Pure storage server for now. I plan to start with a single 18TB drive and expand with another drive a month or two after. Long term, we want to expand even further (6+ HDDs).

d) It can certainly do the job... so can a QNAP or Synology and many other NASware distros of Linux... you be the judge on what's better/cheaper (TrueNAS may be better for a number of reasons, but may not be cheaper for the same or similar effective result and with CORE, you're not buying support, you're relying on people like me giving you help for free).

One of the main reasons I'm building one myself is the fact that things are not proprietary and I can control every piece of hardware and upgrade it as needed. An additional reason being the file storage limitation /every cloud I tried had a hard single-file storage limit which is nowhere near enough for me. Nextcloud was usable and we'd like to continue using it for non archival stuff (day to day).

e) Up to your build quality physical environment and if you want to futz around with fan scripts or let your disks run hot.
I don't have experience with TrueNAS, so I'm not sure what you mean by fan scripts. I assume you mean setting or configuring some kind of fan profile to ensure silent operation?

f) transfers from/to what? if there's 10 Gbit in other devices you have, there's some logic there... be aware that 10 Gbit speed will potentially highlight a bunch of other performance bottlenecks, so if you aren't prepared to consider all components and make sure that you're using the right gear and settings in all parts, don't bother.

From my current hard drives to the archive (server). If I go 1 Gbit, I'll not be saturating the bandwidth. However, if I go 10Gbit, The transfers will be 200 MB/s+ vs 115 or so on 1 Gbit. Of course I would purchase a new switch and the appropriate 10 Gbit cards for my devices (comp, nas, server).

If you want quiet, consider a little higher and go for platinum.
I am aware of this and fully agree. However, the shop I'm buying from doesn't have anything better unless I go ahead and spend at least twice as much and since I expect my load to be at about 250W in full load, I think that the PSU will be most efficient at around 50-60 percent. That's why I chose that one.

You won't be able to control fan speeds with scripts on this board... you'll need to go with supermicro or Asrock Rack for that.
That wasn't my intention in the first place. I'm not looking to spend more just to have the ability to control the fans.

I don't think this CPU supports ECC RAM. It's a recommendation, so consider it. If you care enough about your data to be using ZFS, you should probably care enough to be using ECC RAM too.
I am aware, see the PSU comment. I'm running into the same issue. Lack of parts. I was initially going to go with G4400 or something with ECC support, but it's out of stock.

Depending on your "working set" (the data that you use and change on a day to day basis), this might be OK, assuming the working set is around 5-10 GB.

If your workloads are data-heavy (video/photo editing or something like that), consider a lot more RAM and think more seriously about 10 Gbit for yourself... obviously for the remote colleagues, no difference for them either way as the Internet will bottleneck them first.
I'm expecting a few dozen terabytes of data to be transferred in the first two-three months. After that the transfers will be much, much lower.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I don’t think 10GBe makes sense in this scenario for anything but a trunk to the switch. The HDD pool is unlikely to give you more than 250MB/s and you have multiple users. once you have more VDEVs you could revisit.

how big of a pool are you planning for - just the 30TB plus 20% as recommended or more?

sretalla