Disk detection order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca Prete

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have experienced any other issue like this one? I'm running in the same problem, but going through the steps above didn't help.
This is my config:
- LSI SAS 9201 - 16i - firmware version 16 (corresponding to the driver version running in Freenas)
- FreeNAS 9.3 (latest stable downloaded from the website)

The problem I've is the following:
- When I do CTRL+C at startup and I go in the config utility I see drives in the correct order
- When I install freenas I see drivers in the wrong order. I anyway select the two drives that I would like to use for the installation
- After installing FreeNAS I go in the GUI and the drives have another order again! The worst thing is that I see again in the list of available devices my two devices where I supposed to have install the system...and other two (that actually should be empty instead) have the OS installed.

Not sure it's that clear..but let me know if I can provide any other info/clarification.

Looking forward to receiving news on this

Thanks

mod note: edited for link to old post

Last edited by a moderator:
So you installed the OS on 2 full size drives? Not on flash drives, or a small 40-80Gb SSD(s), but on harddrives? What does the order matter, if its a dead drive, i would pull it by serial, and not only that when i installed all my drives i recorded each drives serial number and what tray it was in, so if/when a drive dies, i grab the dead drives serial and i look in my excel spread sheet for that serial

Luca Prete

Cadet
That's correct. It's on two hard drives (250GB SSDs).
I did the same. I put in the description on freenas their position.
It anyway remains the fact that this is very strange....
Forget about the differences between the order in the installation phase and in the GUI (this was my error). But it's still strange that I see a different order from what my controller presents me (doing CTRL+C when the LSI firmware is loading).

So you installed the OS on 2 full size drives? Not on flash drives, or a small 40-80Gb SSD(s), but on harddrives? What does the order matter, if its a dead drive, i would pull it by serial, and not only that when i installed all my drives i recorded each drives serial number and what tray it was in, so if/when a drive dies, i grab the dead drives serial and i look in my excel spread sheet for that serial

That's correct. It's on two hard drives (250GB SSDs).
I did the same. I put in the description on freenas their position.
It anyway remains the fact that this is very strange....
Forget about the differences between the order in the installation phase and in the GUI (this was my error). But it's still strange that I see a different order from what my controller presents me (doing CTRL+C when the LSI firmware is loading).
Yea i am right there with ya, after looking into it myself....i asked myself how much do i care? The answer was not at all, because i have it documented, and having 21 hdds sometimes complicates things unless well, its documented

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
a) P16 firmware has a bug in the drive detection code for IT mode, so the BIOS extension can give weird results.

b) There is no guarantee (nor is there much of a reason for one) that drive orders will be consistent in any way. Plan accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.