Disable onboard SAS controller

alryaz

Cadet
Hello, everyone!

I'm currently working on installing a TrueNAS CORE on a Supermicro X8QB6-F board, which has an LSI MegaRAID Gen2 embedded SAS controller.

The controller is KIA, the SDRAM soldered onboard failed, and the firmware no longer plays nicely with any OS I throw at it.

Now, in Debian-based SCALE there's a way to forcefully blacklist a MegaRAID module by means of updating the initramfs image. I haven't yet found a similar survivable approach to CORE-based installation.

Is there an option to completely disable all LSI-related drivers? (I am running my drives off the onboard SATA ports)

I suspect an enormous slowdown of the whole system due to desperate attempts of the OS to wait for the RAID controller firmware to recover after boot. While I cannot confirm my assumptions, I'd rather get rid of the extra overhead of enumerating dead hardware entirely. Unfortunately, the onboard jumper does not disable the controller, which is weird to say the least.

alryaz

Cadet
Ironically enough, on my fifth attempt the JPS1 jumper yielded required results (I guess the are other hardware faults I am not aware of). That didn't, however, fix the infinitely long boot time of all hour or so (still hasn't finished at the time of writing).