Disable and reset Active Directory configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I need to leave an Active Directory to setup FreeNas as a standalone Domain Controller for a new domain.
How to reset and disale Active Directory service?

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello everyone,

I need to leave an Active Directory to setup FreeNas as a standalone Domain Controller for a new domain.
How to reset and disale Active Directory service?

Thanks
Is it currently set up as a domain controller or as a member server? In the latter case, it might be a good idea to just do the following:
(1) shut down server
(2) pull existing USB flash drive
(3) insert new USB flash drive and install freenas on it
(4) import pool

Please note that it is not recommended to have the same samba instance simultaneously act as a domain controller and file server. Once you have confirmed that the server is acting the way you want it to, remove the old server from your domain.

If it's the former case, you might want to check with the samba mailing lists.

Hello anodos,

it is currently acts as a member server.
What you say seems like a workaround, is there a cleaner way to reset samba configuration instead reset all the system?

Thanks

I walked into the same problem. Enabled the DC role by accident and wasn't able to disable it again; didn't have a config backup from before, and configuring everything by hand again seemed tedious.

Apparently disabling the DC role is still impossible, at least in the GUI? Clicking on that slider doesn't change anything...

Here's what I did:
  1. Backup config
  2. Open config using DB Browser for SQLlite
  3. Run query "delete * from services_domaincontroller"
  4. Save and load config
  5. Disable domain controller role (for some reason, it still appears as enabled in the GUI)
It should be possible to replace steps 1-4 by running this command from the NAS shell (didn't try):
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db "delete * from services_domaincontroller;"

Not surprisingly, this leaves the configuration in a messed-up state, so I needed to refresh the nameserver config (enter different ones temporarily) and to rejoin the previous domain and follow the steps described here: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_directoryservice.html#if-the-system-will-not-join-the-domain

Is there a more straightforward way? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.