Did I just lose a drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hi there!

I logged onto my FreeNAS system just now, and for the first time ever, I see that my green light is now yellow.

I looked at the "View Disks" tab, and I see that the description is no longer there for my HDD5, but it has the serial number in there... Screenshot attached.

I think that drive is toast, but is there a more definitive error message that I should be looking for that says "Disk _ is toast."?

Thanks!

Assuming that drive is dead, thank goodness for RaidZ2 + warranties :).

UPDATE... I did some more digging in documentation and in my own system... I attached my zpool status, which looks fine... I'm going to reboot the FreeNAS box and see if the status light goes back to green. Also, I was able to re-change the description of the disk back to HDD5, so... hmmm.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.06.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.06.33 AM.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.06.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.06.42 AM.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.19.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.19.55 AM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 174

warri

Guru
You can click on the yellow light to get a detailed error message. :)

Pool status looks good. I think the description of the disk is only saved in the internal FreeNAS database. Maybe your USB stick got corrupted? I hope you did already backup your encryption recovery key to a safe location?

EDIT: I see you got checksum errors on one drive. The formatting of that screenshot is very weird, so it slipped past me. Check the SMART attributes of the drive in question, it could be failing. This fact probably triggered the yellow light.

hungarianhc

Patron
Okay... So... I clicked the SMART test button, and it said "please wait" for a while and then eventually the UI become unresponsive. I could no longer log into the FreeNAS gui... I just loaded up the screen on IPMI, and I got the attached screenshot. I wonder if this is related to the issue I mention in the post here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...town-where-to-troubleshoot.20560/#post-117833

I'm getting a bit nervous here about all of my data, but hopefully it's all fine....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.58.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-30 at 7.58.22 AM.png
    182.6 KB · Views: 174

hungarianhc

Patron
Grrrrr.... sata cables aren't long enough to stretch to the Intel sata ports. For now, i have shut the machine down. I'll stop by Best Buy / Fry's tonight after work to pick up some longer sata cables....

warri

Guru
A SMART test is different from polling the SMART attributes. You can poll the attributes from a shell with
Code:
smartctl -q noserial -a /dev/adaX
(replace X with drive number of drive in question).
This will also show you the result of the smart test you started :)

hungarianhc

Patron
I think this might be an issue pertaining to the Marvell controller. I have switched everything over to the Intel controller... Time to see if the issue comes up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.