Developer! Please change the freenas-common for 2G flash disk or DOM(bug 490)

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdsk

Cadet
Dear,
I missed the same issue. I read lots of document and the docs from this site. I found the following way to resolve it.
Firstly following guide to rebuild a image for you. Before build please change to line
"FlashDevice generic 1g" to "FlashDevice generic 1800m" in the file "/usr/local/trunk/nanobsd/freenas-common"
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Test_Upcoming_Versions
After you rebuild and get a ISO file. You can install or upgrade the system.
This issue is caused by the follow reason.
1, Many 2G USB flash or DOM only show 18xxMB in system. But the original image will create two 943MB partition during installation. So the partition table is wrong. It exceed the max capacity of the disk. When you reboot. System cann’t find any other partition.
I thing developer can modify this item before build. Then many user who have the same issue can use it. Because by now the 900MB is enough for the main partition.
I think It is a bug. Since most 2G disk is not show 2000MB in system. Some show 18xxMB in system. We need follow the minimal size.
I don't who should know it and change it in next version.
If you still want to use the 1G disk. I think you can change to following and rebuild. But I don't sure it works fine.
original
NANO_IMAGES=2
FlashDevice generic 1800m
Changed
NANO_IMAGES=1
FlashDevice generic 900m

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pretty sure that'll hose you from doing upgrades through the automated systems. That probably isn't a showstopper for anyone capable of figuring this out in the first place, though.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

I have to tell you I run into this a lot on the irc channel where a user has a 2GB flash drive that just isn't working...sometimes there's some disagreement because the docs do say you need a 2GB key, but when they change to a 4GB key things work much better.

I don't know that changing the size of the image is the right answer so much as changing the docs to simply say you need 2000 megabytes, but that seems needlessly complicated in a world where a 4GB key can be had for $6.00. Honestly I would just assume the image size get bumped to 3.5GB and the docs changed to say you need a 4GB key and be done with it.

-Will

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, I have to agree, it was kind of a lame bump. We're not sticking anything less than 8GB in anything at this point, it's just too much effort to keep track of too many different stock parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.