Dell PowerEdge T310 with 5 SATA HDD

Khuzaima

Dabbler
Hello,

I am trying to build a NAS server on Dell PowerEdge T310 / 16 GB. I have installed a 120 GB SSD for FreeNAS installation and other 5 SATA HDD of 3 TB each for creating pool.

Problem:
The System does not go beyond POST screen if I plug in the 4th HDD (3TB). It works fine with 120GB SSD + 3 nos. 3TB SATA HDD.

Has anyone faced such issue? Please help solve this issue.

Thanks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
My immediate instinct is "bad hardware."

See if the problem follows a specific drive or SATA port; eg. does the problem persist even if you change what the fourth drive in question is? Eg: you have drives A, B, C, and D. Is it always drive "D" for example that causes a no-post scenario, or is it any combination of four drives?

Did it ever successfully post with all five drives connected for the initial FreeNAS installation?

Khuzaima

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I had tried swapping all the HDDs with new ones also. All the HDDs were found working ok.

Finally, I reinstalled FreeNAS using UEFI option and in boot options on PowerEdge System setup, I selected UEFI as boot mode. This has solved the problem and now the system is up and running with 5 x 3TB HDDs as pool.

melloa

Wizard
Also, for future thoughts, how are your drives connected to the motherboard? If your server has a HBA, you will probably need to re-flash and/or replace with one on IT mode, to won't have a hardware raid in the mix.

Khuzaima

Dabbler
Hi Melloa,

I just replied to the thread. Problem is solved by reinstalling FreeNAS in UEFI mode.

Yorick

Wizard
You didn't say which 120GB SSD you used for boot. If this required UEFI, chances are it's an NVMe drive. Or your BIOS was set for UEFI-boot only, with a SATA SSD. Either way.

I'm glad to see you solved it!