SOLVED Deleting Old IOCAGE Downloads & Releases

I only have one jail, which is based on 11.4-RELEASE currently. My existing IOCAGE structure has all the previously downloaded releases just wasting space, and I would like to delete them. I know the DESTROY command for killing a jail, but these are DATASETS.

Jails.png

Can I just delete the DATASETS without affecting the jail? Would that break anything? It's not clear with all the posts about ZFS clones and such whether my 11.4 jail needs these previous versions present or not.

Thanks for the help...
Steve

Alecmascot

Guru

Yup, read that. My confusion is that 11.2-RELEASE (for example) isn't a jail. It's a dataset. I'm trying to find the proper way to remove those datasets while being sure that none of my jails depend on them. IOCAGE help says that the destroy command is to delete a JAIL. There is no jail named 11.2-RELEASE to delete if you run the destroy command.

I'm trying to ensure that my jails won't break before I delete the unused datasets from old releases. I don't like to "click and learn". Bad things happen when you do things you're unsure of. Still looking, but I'm not finding a real answer I can feel comfortable about. These are just the downloaded releases jails are built from IIRC, but I don't know if a dependency exists after a jail is built. I want to be sure.

Thanks...

G8One2

Patron
I can confirm that I personally, have deleted them on my own current running system. Hasn't caused any issues that I know of.

I deleted them, and had not issues as far as I can tell. Thanks, all...

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
I want to do the same cleanup as you have described above. My question is as an example you want to delete the 12.1 and 12.2 release, did you delete it from both 'download' and 'releases'? Also did you just delete each dataset from the Storage-Pools page?

dataset.jpg

I want to do the same cleanup as you have described above. My question is as an example you want to delete the 12.1 and 12.2 release, did you delete it from both 'download' and 'releases'? Also did you just delete each dataset from the Storage-Pools page?

View attachment 46523
I deleted from both downloads and releases. Apparently those datasets have no effect once you're jail is built from them. I've had no issues since. I only deleted the ones I no longer had jails built on, but I'm not sure it matters. From my understanding, it will just download the release again if you make a new jail based on it, which you likely won't. Any jails you create will be likely based on the newest...