Degraded Volume - Where to start?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeci

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I've been using FreeNas for a little over a year now, it's all been setup and running flawlessly through upgrades and rebuids.

However the other day I checked the daily email outputs I get sent to me I saw this:

kidrH9c.png

Upon logging into the web console I also had a flashing amber status light and the following message:

DnItGYB.png

OBzwdYq.png

I currently have 5 x 2TB WD RED's in my NAS that are less than one year old. So I doubt it's a drive failiure, although... You never know!

I have still been able to stream media from my device, so at least I know the RAIDz has been doing it's job.

I'm more than happy to troubleshoot this myself, but I don't really know where to start, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jeci

Cadet
So I did a zpool status -v, it gave a similar output to the exerpt I uploaded from the email output I get.

I did a zpool online -e <Pool> <device>, as I knew I hadn't unplugged any drives or anything, and it appears to be resilvering the drive successfully as we speak:

xZKaK8v.png

Are there any logs I can check to confirm that the disk isn't failing and that this was just a cable coming loose or the like?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have smart monitoring and emailing setup in FreeNAS it should email you when certain hard disk parameters change.

Other than that, you can check the smartctl -a /dev/XXX output for yourself to see what is or isn't right.

Jeci

Cadet
If you have smart monitoring and emailing setup in FreeNAS it should email you when certain hard disk parameters change.

Other than that, you can check the smartctl -a /dev/XXX output for yourself to see what is or isn't right.

Thanks for your help - Just checked the log files manually and there's no smart errors whatsoever.

At least in the part of the log file that I could see, is there an easy way to pipe the output to the shared volume that's setup?

warri

Guru
For the future you could create a Dataset called syslog, after a restart all logs will be written to it instead of the temporary location (assuming you were talking about system logs?).
From the CLI you can also output the smart info into a file: smartctl -a /dev/XXX > /path/to/file

Dusan

Guru
You can also run "dmesg" and check for any disk related error messages.
Thanks for your help - Just checked the log files manually and there's no smart errors whatsoever.
When you say you "checked the log files manually", which log files are you referring to? Did you actually run smartctl -a /dev/xxx for the correct drive? (i.e. were you able to figure which drive has the gptid/eae50323... label?)

Status
Not open for further replies.