Datasets inside Datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfishernc

Dabbler
Hi all - I'm trying to create a dataset that contains all my users private folders and then a dataset below for each user.

ie: /mnt/ZFS1/users/user1
/mnt/ZFS1/users/user2, etc.

I tried the homeusers function and had problems with users not being able to log in to their home folder, so I figured I would manually make these folders (not that many so it's not that hard).

The website documentation states I can nest datasets (dataset inside of a dataset) but I don't see any way to make that happen. Is this function coming in the next release and the website already reflects it? Or is there a way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

The only way I see to accomplish what I'm looking for now is to create a "users" volume, and then each user have a dataset under. Right? The only negative I see with this is I have to specify a volume size and I have no idea what size I want (can I change this later?)

I guess to summarize my questions:
- is there any good documentation on homeusers permissions? I searched and read everything I could find and didn't help (found several people with same issue but no real resolutions).
- can I nest my users below a main "folder" (dataset, volume, etc)? Trying to keep things organized...
- if I have to create another volume as the top level folder to be able to nest datasets below it - can I change the size later without issue?
- Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
The website documentation states I can nest datasets (dataset inside of a dataset) but I don't see any way to make that happen. Is this function coming in the next release and the website already reflects it? Or is there a way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

Thanks!

You didn't mention which version you are using, but at least with 8.2 Beta you just go to Storage->Volumes->View Volumes and select the dataset you want to create another dataset inside of, then click on the create dataset icon.

Each dataset also has an icon for changing the permissions of that dataset.

I don't have an 8.04 system handy to check at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

bfishernc

Dabbler
Sorry, you are right, I didn't mention version - 8.0.4

When I go to the View Volumes, there is no icon for creating another dataset. Must be coming in 8.2. Thanks

bfishernc

Dabbler
In 8.0.x use the names as folders, like: parent_dataset/new_child_dataset

Perfect - this appears to work. Thanks!

For clarification (for anyone who reads this later) - in the dataset name - I entered "Users/User1" and it would create a new dataset below Users called User1

Status
Not open for further replies.