CUPS not seeing printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustydreamcast

Dabbler
I all not really a FreeNAS issue but this is driving me round the twist not least as it worked out of the tin under Linux

In order to do away with a Linux box running cups I thought it would be neat to install cups in a jail on my freenas server.

The jail creation and installing cups was fine as per the instructions on freebsd.org and I've installed epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/ from the ports which is the same drivers mt sx218 users in Linux if I try something like cat /dev/ulpt0 it gets resonance from the printer

But when I go to the add printer there are no local printers offered any idea? would be welcome right now.

Thanks

rusty

rustydreamcast

Dabbler
tried to manually add with this but not working as you can see

root@Cups:/ # lpadmin -p Epson-Stylus_SX218 -m "`lpinfo --make-and-model 'Epson-Stylus_SX218' -m | cut -f 1 -d ' '`" -v 'usb:/dev/ulpt0' -D 'Epson-Stylus_SX218 (ulpt0)' -E
lpinfo: client-error-not-found
lpadmin: Unknown argument "usb:/dev/ulpt0".
root@Cups:/ #

oneplusme

Cadet
I've had various issues getting CUPS working - primarily the permissions on the device nodes in the jail. In the end, I set the script below running ever 5 minutes from cron (as root) to make sure that CUPS could write to the device nodes it needed:

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash

usbid="03f0:7604"

PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin

usbdev=$(lsusb -d "$usbid" 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $4}' | sed -e 's/:.*//')
if [ -z "$usbdev" ] ; then
	# Printer not connected
	exit 0
fi

usbbus=$(echo "$usbdev" | sed -e 's/.*ugen//')

for node in /dev/*lp* /dev/usb/$usbbus.* ; do
	chown cups:cups "$node"
done

(Replace usbid with the ID for your printer, which you can find with "lsusb".)

Status
Not open for further replies.