Critical Alerts for Boot Pool

homer27081990

Patron
Hello

Thanks for reply

Both servers have double power supplies and are deployed in a datacenter, so there aren't issue about power failure.
Both servers are setting in bios for "max power / pax performance"

We haven't free slot to put boot hd inside servers, without change hw, backplane, etc..

Also change Controller and use PCIe sata mean work a lot and put "unofficial" solutions.

May be the only way is to back to use USB stick (as sandisk cruzer fit)..

We would like to use SSD but, too issue with 2 different server and 2 different SSD brand.

Understand that cause may be usb, but other use the same Samsung T7 to usb without issue.

So think we'll be back to usb stick, if there is another solutions to but ssd to usb or out of server case.

Thanks for support and help
Not a power failure of the server! A bad circuit in your adapter (SATA-USB) that momentarily loses power if the SSD draws too much in a spike. That may not be enough to make the SSD lose power, but if the adapter itself does, the computer still sees the disk as disconnected because it loses connectivity through the USB!

This is a problem of the adapter, not a power failure of your server.

If you cannot do a solution like mine, and you must do something, get PCIe SSDs.

homer27081990

Patron
There are no other solutions and booting from USB adapters is considered ill advised at best. As for my solution, it took me 5 minutes a pair of pliers and 2 zip-ties. No unnecessary work.

webstyler

Explorer
Not a power failure of the server! A bad circuit in your adapter (SATA-USB) that momentarily loses power if the SSD draws too much in a spike. That may not be enough to make the SSD lose power, but if the adapter itself does, the computer still sees the disk as disconnected because it loses connectivity through the USB!

This is a problem of the adapter, not a power failure of your server.

If you cannot do a solution like mine, and you must do something, get PCIe SSDs.
Hello

thanks for suggest.

So, we can have 2 solutions:
1 - https://amzn.eu/d/0XS7LGn
2 - https://a.co/d/2qFK2dF

Both shouldn't force us to update other parts, right?
DVD caddy is what we can prefer :)

What do you think about?

NugentS

MVP
Given you don't need anything special for a boot pool I would go with the DVD adapter

jlpellet

Patron
I looked back through this thread & 1 thing I cannot see is if the server USB port is 2 or 3. I note this because I have has issues with FreeNAS/TrueNAS in the past with an external SSD (via USB 3 case/adapter) connected to a USB 3 port on the PC that went away when using a USB 2 PC port. Has not happened in a while, but I keep my external boot devices on a USB 2 port. Good luck.

webstyler

Explorer
I looked back through this thread & 1 thing I cannot see is if the server USB port is 2 or 3. I note this because I have has issues with FreeNAS/TrueNAS in the past with an external SSD (via USB 3 case/adapter) connected to a USB 3 port on the PC that went away when using a USB 2 PC port. Has not happened in a while, but I keep my external boot devices on a USB 2 port. Good luck.
WD Elements SE > USB 3.0
Samsung T7 > USB 3.2

Storage Server > USB 2.0