Creating more Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm wanting to create a couple of BSD jails on my freenas box for services like a DNS server and MC server. I have freenas 8 installed on a 16gb usb stick on my HP microserver. I've followed the following guide http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?526-Jailing-Tranmission-Bittorrent

I can create one fine but when I reboot my freeNAS box it just forgets it, and I'm left with only my plugin jail and I'm not sure why?

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Nice friendly reply there! I did, I also went on the IRC and no one replied. Would you be able to point me to this post?

Daniel Townend

Dabbler

Stephens

Patron
Google search on "FreeNAS multiple jails" gives me multiple hits on the first page of results. Here's another.

Generally when changes disappear, it's because you're not modifying the correct location. FreeNAS sits on top of FreeBSD and trusts it's own data. Sometimes if you modify something straight in FreeBSD, it'll get overlayed information FreeNAS believes to be true. Also, sometimes there are in-ram files that disappear upon reboot when things get reloaded from flash (boot drive). One last thing... I'd be careful about any direct mods you make from the shell as I don't know how subsequent changes from the GUI will handle them (retain them, drop them, blow up, etc.). Sounds like you're almost there. I don't use plugins so I can't tell you the right location, but I know it's been covered here if you want to go searching, or maybe someone will chime in.

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Google search on "FreeNAS multiple jails" gives me multiple hits on the first page of results. Here's another.

Generally when changes disappear, it's because you're not modifying the correct location. FreeNAS sits on top of FreeBSD and trusts it's own data. Sometimes if you modify something straight in FreeBSD, it'll get overlayed information FreeNAS believes to be true. Also, sometimes there are in-ram files that disappear upon reboot when things get reloaded from flash (boot drive). One last thing... I'd be careful about any direct mods you make from the shell as I don't know how subsequent changes from the GUI will handle them (retain them, drop them, blow up, etc.). Sounds like you're almost there. I don't use plugins so I can't tell you the right location, but I know it's been covered here if you want to go searching, or maybe someone will chime in.

Thanks for the info, I know how to create jails its just keeps removing the config code. But yeah I think something in freeNAS is re-writing the rc.conf file once I reboot the box, if anyone could shed light on how to keep these changes?

BTW has anyone created a plugin for the webgui to create jails? I would have a go but I'm not sure my coding skills would suffice.

ProtoSD

MVP
Take some time and RTFM and the FAQ, they have those answers and you'll stop wasting everyones time repeating it. There's no need to create a plugin to create jails, FreeBSD has several apps that do that already, like Warden and EZJail. But FreeNAS doesn't use or need those, that's what the Jail PBI is for... RTFM.

seer_tenedos

Dabbler
Thanks for the info, I know how to create jails its just keeps removing the config code. But yeah I think something in freeNAS is re-writing the rc.conf file once I reboot the box, if anyone could shed light on how to keep these changes?

As mentioned by Stephens it sounds like you are modifying the wrong copy of rc.conf. Just to confirm you are making the root partition writable and updating /conf/base/etc/rc.conf as well as /etc/rc.conf right?
/etc/rc.conf is for before reboot and /conf/base/etc/rc.conf is used to replace /etc/rc.conf after each reboot.

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
Take some time and RTFM and the FAQ, they have those answers and you'll stop wasting everyones time repeating it. There's no need to create a plugin to create jails, FreeBSD has several apps that do that already, like Warden and EZJail. But FreeNAS doesn't use or need those, that's what the Jail PBI is for... RTFM.

When I go on a forum for help its usually because I can't find the information I need, I HAVE searched and yes I have seen EZJail but there's no instructions how to build it under FreeNAS only FreeBSD. If your just going to be an arse I rather you didn't post stuff telling me that I haven't looked at all...

Daniel Townend

Dabbler
As mentioned by Stephens it sounds like you are modifying the wrong copy of rc.conf. Just to confirm you are making the root partition writable and updating /conf/base/etc/rc.conf as well as /etc/rc.conf right?
/etc/rc.conf is for before reboot and /conf/base/etc/rc.conf is used to replace /etc/rc.conf after each reboot.

Ah! yes I was just editing /etc/rc.conf, thats probably why, I shall try again tonight, thanks! :)

ProtoSD

MVP
When I go on a forum for help its usually because I can't find the information I need, I HAVE searched and yes I have seen EZJail but there's no instructions how to build it under FreeNAS only FreeBSD. If your just going to be an arse I rather you didn't post stuff telling me that I haven't looked at all...

This topic has been discussed to death, if you searched you must be blind. I have been on these forums for almost 2 years and seen this discussed so many times I can't count. I KNOW for a fact the info is in the FAQ and documentation. People like you just want the answers handed to them on a platter, I've seen dozens of people like you here.

THREAD CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.