Creating an iSCSI extent - Have i done this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlueRaja

Dabbler
So i have an ESXi box configured to use FreeNAS as a SCSI Target and it works really well as far as i can tell. I hold all my VM's on this Datastore.

However, im new to FreeNAS and have only been up and running for a couple of weeks, but i've been reading a bit and i believe i may have made a mistake.

Essentially, i have a 6TB volume called Storage and within that volume i have a dataset called Shared which is a windows share that i use as a sort of public file storage area for the house.

I followed a tutorial to create an iSCSI share for my ESXi box, where i hold several VM's. Whilst doing this and creating the extent i used Extent Type: File and created a 3TB extent.

https://imgur.com/a/nLTiI
nLTiI

Am i right in saying that, instead, under my Storage pool, i should have created a zvol, then used that instead as the Extent target?

The reason i ask is that i have just added a ZIL SLOG device and wanted to configure sync=always. I don't think i can do that on the extent, as that's just a file on Pool Storage, but if im reading it correctly, if i create a 3TB zvol named ESXI_Datastore for example, the i could run:-

zfs set sync=always Storage/ESXI_Datastore

Is my thinking correct here? And if so - is there a way to copy the contents of the extent to the zvol before linking the extent to a zvol instead of a file?

TheBlueRaja

Dabbler
Yeah - im in the process of moving everything and doing exactly the above.

The more i read the more i realised i had done it wrong. At least i still have enough storage space available to be able to copy everything about.

Status
Not open for further replies.