Crashplan on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
I stumbled across this blog post today that details how to get Crashplan running. Unfortunately it involves either recompiling all of FreeNAS or using the precompiled version from the author. But, it does look like the best option for getting Crashplan running on a FreeNAS system.

http://www.bionoren.com/blog/2013/03/freenas-crashplan/

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure posting a link qualifies as a HowTo, especially since it involves recompiling FreeNAS or using a non-standard release. Perhaps the Resources section?

fracai

Guru
That's valid. Thank's for moving it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
While that does sound promising, I'd hardly call this a "recommended" solution when you have to either:

1. Rely on someone's modified FreeNAS installation.
2. Recompile FreeNAS yourself.

It muddies the waters so much when someone modifies FreeNAS themselves.

This really should have been put into the jail. That's what its for!

fracai

Guru
Agreed. I asked about running in a Jail (see the comments on the page) and it sounds like you'd still need to recompile in order to get the linux compat stuff working. Crashplan is supposedly working on removing the restrictions that prohibit BSD support (and require the compat layer), but who knows when that will arrive.

fracai

Guru
"Proper" in that it exists. But, based on the feedback in the announcement, it doesn't work at all.

rsync.net

Dabbler
Hello,

We can't really comment on crashplan or their plugin, but of course in a thread like this we feel compelled to point out that rsync.net works perfectly, by default, with no plugin.

As you may know, we offer plain old rsync-over-ssh to our ZFS platform (which runs on FreeBSD, naturally).

So, whether you prefer the GUI rsync job creation, or just type one into your FreeNAS crontab, it's going to "just work".

One of the forum admins is going to post this in the announcements sub-forum in a day or so, but I can leave this here in advance:

https://www.rsync.net/signup/signup_offer.html?code=63d97c

(special FreeNAS-community-rate of 10c per GB, per month ... locked in for life, new customers only)

Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.