Crashplan and AWS S3 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

connection

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Just after some history / information about this crashplan jail.

1. How resource intensive is it?
2. How stable is it?
3. How much management and monitoring does it require (ie: is it set-and-forget?).

Secondly, I notice there is development to integrate FreeNAS and Amazon AWS S3 here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/amazon-s3-plugin-for-testing.22604/
and subsequently here:
https://blog.devita.co/2014/11/19/u...enas-to-backup-your-freenas-config-to-aws-s3/

Can anyone confirm the stability / reliability of such plug ins?

I require a cloud based backup solution for my FreeNAS as i'm only dealing with 750GB of (extremely important) data.

Any advice would be great... If there are any other alternative solutions, then please let me know.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
With that little data tarsnap would be something to consider since it have very little overhead. Crashplan isn't that resource intensive at that small of data but as you increase it requires more ram for dedupe. Check out crashplan website, they tell you everything you would ever need to know about their service.

Pasquale61

Explorer
2. How stable is it?
3. How much management and monitoring does it require (ie: is it set-and-forget?).
For me it's been very stable. I ran Crashplan for over 3 years on a Windows server before migrating to FreeNAS a few months ago.

One of the things I love about Crashplan is the "set it and forget it" part. When something doesn't work, Crashplan sends you emails. This is rare in my case, and usually it's because one of my client PC's have not been on the network for a 2-3 days. The emails are independent of FreeNAS or the plugin, so if the plugin is off for an extended period of time I start getting emails. It also sends you regularly scheduled status emails.

The only caveat that many have run into is that when Crashplan releases updates, the plugin may need manual intervention. The plugin will update automatically but it sometimes reverts to a default run.conf file in the Crashplan jail, which wipes out a couple of required entries. It's an easy fix, but it it's something you have to consider and look for if things suddenly stop working. (The symptom is that the Crashplan service will not start.)

Status
Not open for further replies.