Couple of hardware questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

my95z34

Explorer
So, back around Feb I purchased a Lenovo TS440 for $300. It's worked great, no issues. Now, a couple of things have come up. Firstly, I need more storage. I've got the 4 bays full of WD Red 3TB drives in Raidz1. So, looking to increase storage, I'm leaning towards filling the other 4 bays, but to do so I'd need to get the backplane and everything required for that, as well as a sata card of some sort. Add that to 4 additional drives, and it's looking quite costly. So, I'm wondering if I should just look at a new server all together. Looking for opinions on that.

Secondly, my mom needs an upgrade to a real server, so I was going to pick up another TS440 for her, but now the price has jumped quite a bit. So, I'm looking for decent options around that price point, and with decent/comparable performance.

Thanks in advance!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It looks like hotswap cages for the TS440 go for around $99. An m1015 costs $90 and will provide enough SAS connections for all 8 drives. It looks like the upgrades will come in just shy of $200. You'd probably be better served just upgrading your current equipment.

my95z34

Explorer
It looks like hotswap cages for the TS440 go for around $99. An m1015 costs $90 and will provide enough SAS connections for all 8 drives. It looks like the upgrades will come in just shy of $200. You'd probably be better served just upgrading your current equipment.
Hmm, interesting. Do you happen to have a link or part number to the cage/backplane? Last time I looked, which was probably 5 or 6 months ago, they were around the $200 mark. Now I can't even find the part number again, lol. I'm scouring my hardware manual, but I'm not finding it.

//edit// Wait, I found the part numbers, but can't find any for sale. All ebay listings have ended. =[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.