Corsair Voyager Thumb Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
USB drives are notorious for being lousy quality. I'd suggest moving over to an inexpensive SSD for your boot device.

capa

Dabbler
Jalier do you have any specific recommendation for "inexpensive SSD disks". I am currently struggling getting a reliable boot disk(s) configuration, because I have not yet found any reliable inexpensive SSD disks. See also my thread.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just about any newer inexpensive SSD will work fine.

capa

Dabbler
This is exactly my point, I already have bought and tried three of these inexpensive SSD disks, and I could either not install FreeNAS at all (filesystem was corrupted while booting up the first time; the installation however was reported as being successful) or I was able to install and operate the system for only one week. These are the ones I tried:

SANDisk SSD Plus 2.5''
WD Green 3D Nand

Was this just (extremly) bad luck, or could this point to some other problem? I can somehow exclude any other parts of the system being the cause of this problem, because I had no issues at all with a 10 year old HDD from Samsung:

2.5'' SAMSUNG SpinPoint M5S 250 GB

ShutUpFry

Dabbler
USB drives are notorious for being lousy quality. I'd suggest moving over to an inexpensive SSD for your boot device.

Unfortunately that will be a bit more complicated since I already have 8 drives using all the sata ports. I guess I’ll have to get an expansion card.

rvassar

Guru
Patriot was making a 60Gb SATA SSD under their "Blaze" line. I originally used one of those, but wanted all my SATA ports for storage disks. It appears those are now called a "Flare". $27...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-003W-00031

If you need all your SATA ports... When you install, use two USB thumb drives of equal size. Select both of them at install time, and it will become a ZFS mirror pool. Then you can replace them independently when they fail, and resilver from the remaining one. Not perfect, but...

I'm having pretty good luck with the Samsung "Fit" drives in Raspberry Pi duty. Small & metal cased, and USB 3.0 if you can make use of it... Downside, no activity light.

Inxsible

Guru
I second using SanDisk. I installed FreeNAS on a single SanDisk Cruzer 8GB on my Node 304 based system because my board had 6 SATA ports that I wanted to use as storage.
It's been more than 3.5 years now and I haven't had a single issue. It's still running on the same USB that I originally installed it on. YMMV.

pro lamer

Guru
WD Green 3D Nand
This one (or maybe it was WD Green 3D nand ? ) is specified to draw only 2.2W so I guess this is not a power problem.

From the top of my head only a trivial advice: running some SD card/SSD write test software (I am familiar with a Windows based one named h2testw) for some basic verification afterwards...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.