Corrupted Data After Resilver Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
Currently running FreeNAS 8.0.4-RELEASE-p1 6x2TB Raidz2

A few weeks ago I got a SMART error stating 2 pending sector error and 1 bad sector detected on 1 of my drive.
I waited a few days before replacing the bad drive. During that time, the volume was online even after a reboot.
When the replacement drive arrived, I started the replacement process and the volume began to resilver.
After resilver, it showed that I have data corruption. One of the file was corrupted. Luckily it was a file that I didn't need.
So I deleted it from the volume and perform another scrub. There was no errors detected after that scrub.

So here's my question:

Should I have taken the bad drive offline when I get the SMART error stating pending sector error and bad sector detected?
Would leaving a bad drive running cause this type of issue?

Thanks for any input.

TdK

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
No, there is redundancy and checksum.
You're only going to get corrupted data if 2 or more disks have silently corrupted data (pending sector for instance or offline uncorrectable sector)

Memory could be another cause, though it is rare, thats why ECC is recommended.

TwinDaddyKev

Dabbler
Thinking back...I did have 2 drives that was displaying pending sector and offline uncorrectable sector.
I only have 1 drive on hand so I replaced that 1 first. Resilver and everything was back online with no errors.

I got the error when I replaced the 2nd drive a few days later.

Would I still get this type of error if I have taken both drives offline? I am running Raidz2 so I would be OK if I lose 2 drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.