Copy Users to New Build

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
I have an old NAS (FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6) whose data I'm in the process of migrating to a new build with the current version of TrueNAS CORE. My intention is to keep the services, particularly SMB, identical to the old one, so that the replacement is as painless as possible for the users. Is there any way to copy over the user details, including hashed passwords, so the users don't need to set up new passwords?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You could load the configuration database from the old server into the new one.
It can work if you do that and then export any existing pool and import the new pool.

There is no way to selectively bring in pieces like Users/Groups.

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
You could load the configuration database from the old server into the new one.
It can work if you do that and then export any existing pool and import the new pool.

There is no way to selectively bring in pieces like Users/Groups.
Thanks, I expected that to be the answer. I actually previously did a different new build (we've got two offices that I'm upgrading) and tried to restore the configuration from the old NAS, but it didn't work. (Maybe too many versions skipped for compatibility, but in any case it wasn't happy...) I ended up rebuilding everything from scratch - which really wasn't all that much, just an SMB share - and re-created the users. Just wondering if there's a simpler approach.

Patrick Ryan

Dabbler
You would need to lift them out of TrueNAS for that, either run a directory or manage configuration externally with something like https://github.com/arensb/ansible-truenas
In my use case, I think that might be akin to swatting mosquitos with a sledgehammer! With only half a dozen users, the easiest solution for me is to create new user identities on the new build, and instruct them to set up new passwords.

garm

Wizard
A directory might be overkill, properly set up and documented Ansible playbook will probably make both your life easier and ensure business continuity