Copy multiple backup disks at the same time to pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayot

Dabbler
I am currently migrating to use Freenas. I have three large drives that I would like to copy the data off of to the pool. I would like to do all three at the same time as the pool is more than fast enough to keep up and it would save about 10 hours over doing them one by one in the import disk wizard.

I've tried to mount them in SSH with;
cd /mnt
sudo mkdir ada2p2
sudo ntfs-3g /dev/ada2p2 ada2p2

But it won't mount. It states that there is no such file or directory. I see it listed under /dev and the import wizard lists it as one of my drives. What am I doing wrong?

Glorious1

Guru
The manual says one disk at a time. I would believe it and follow the instructions.
8.1.5. Import Disk
The Volume → Import Disk screen, shown in Figure 8.1.6, is used to import a single disk that has been formatted with the UFS, NTFS, MSDOS, or EXT2 filesystem. The import is meant to be a temporary measure to copy the data from a disk to an existing ZFS dataset. Only one disk can be imported at a time.

kayot

Dabbler
I wouldn't mind this if it had some sort of percentage or at least told me when it was done.

Is there a command I can run that will show me the progress of this process?

Glorious1

Guru
I've never tried it so don't know. But if you know how much is on the disk you're importing, you could open up a share on the destination volume with your client computer and monitor the files/size being added.

kayot

Dabbler
What I've been doing is stopping my network file transfer and seeing if the available space keeps going down.

I'm fully saturating my network with a single system so this is the best I can do. The server has dual lan ports. I wonder if I can use both at the same time and load the data from two other systems?

Glorious1

Guru
So you're not actually importing the disk using the FreeNAS import facility, but sending the data over LAN. If you have a free drive slot in the server, and it's one of the file systems that FreeNAS can import, that would be a lot faster I think.

kayot

Dabbler
I'm using that too. My pool has ten 4TB disks under a z2. I'm not maxing the pools write speed by any means. I just figured that I could do the three drives I have hooked to the server at the same time.

gpsguy

Can't you see that, without stopping the file transfer?

Hopefully you are using something like Rsync, so that you don't have to re-copy the files that you've already transferred to your server.

What I've been doing is stopping my network file transfer and seeing if the available space keeps going down.

kayot

Dabbler
I can't see the progress on the Import Disk, or I don't know where to look. I just have to wait and see.

Right now I'm using Total Commander in Windows 10 and a second system on my desk to transfer the contents of one part of the backup to the NAS. I'm planning on Dual Booting this system with Debian and an NFS share later for backups with Rsync. For now I'm crutching along with Windows systems and NTFS drives. This is a migration. I can't rely on MS's buggy and slow implementation of raid and Drive Pool with Snapraid has reached the end of it's usefulness. I originally built this server for FreeNAS but I've been all over the place with what to use.

I've finally decided, Raspberry Pie for website and owncloud. The server will do Torrents and File Systems.

So my current goal is to get the data from my backups to the FreeNAS. I'll figure out everything else later. I still have 6~8TB to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.