Copy Freenas from working USB to Flashdisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICE

Cadet
Hi. i'm new into FreeNas. But i got my NAS up and running 9.2.1.9. today.
Currently i'm running(booting) FreeNAS from a USB key. The easy way to start.:smile:
I have bought a 16GB SSD DOM flashdisk which is mounted directly in a SATA port. I see the SSD DOM in Bios as an SSD disk, and want to use this flash-disk for booting. No problem changing boot sequence i Bios.
My simple question is: Is there an simple and easy way to copy the bootable image from the working USB key to my internal 16GB SSD flash.?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I would backup your configuration file for FreeNas and just do a fresh install on the SATADOM
then just transfer the config over from the saved backup. Fairly simple...

ICE

Cadet
I would backup your configuration file for FreeNas and just do a fresh install on the SATADOM
then just transfer the config over from the saved backup. Fairly simple...
Hi again. A freind of mine solved my problem by locating the USB and SSD-flash and used DD
dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/ada1 bs=64k conv=sync
After the copy it's booting from the SSD-flash as expected.
Just for your info.
Have a nice day.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you ever have problems with that boot device, you should do a reinstall. If you read our documentation we specifically say NOT to do dd backups as they don't seem to work properly. If you read one of my first threads in this forum I fought dd for several days before relenting that I should do things properly and not try to do stuff like dd backups. Yes, it should work. But it doesn't. So please think about this before you post that thread next week that you rebooted your server and now it won't boot or you are getting weird errors that nobody else on the forum has ever seen before. That will be your sign that your boot device was never in good working order.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you ever have problems with that boot device, you should do a reinstall. If you read our documentation we specifically say NOT to do dd backups as they don't seem to work properly. If you read one of my first threads in this forum I fought dd for several days before relenting that I should do things properly and not try to do stuff like dd backups. Yes, it should work. But it doesn't. So please think about this before you post that thread next week that you rebooted your server and now it won't boot or you are getting weird errors that nobody else on the forum has ever seen before. That will be your sign that your boot device was never in good working order.

It just might work now, with ZFS and all. Still, it's a rather silly way to handle the problem, especially now that mirrors are available.

Let's place that in the "Doing Stuff Differently For the Sake of Being Different" category. No cookies on offer for the obligatory Apple jokes.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It might work, but in this case the OP said he was on 9.2.1.9.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It might work, but in this case the OP said he was on 9.2.1.9.
:confused:

Long day, I guess I got confused about that one Installation thread that is not about 9.3...

Status
Not open for further replies.