Copy data from (non-FreeNAS) NAS to FreeNAS via CLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whatts

Dabbler
Hi all,

I was wondering if this is possible: can I copy data from a Synology NAS to my FreeNAS using the CLI?
Both machines are running CIFS shares and are on the same network.

I'm thinking this is faster than using a Windows machine in between both NASes.
The data will be moved, not replicated, so I've no need for rsync.

I've managed to mount the external share using mount_smbfs, but how do I go about making sure the permissions are now set correctly? I'm no stranger to commandline, but FreeNAS/FreeBSD's permissions logic has me confused...

Whatts

Dabbler
Hi Pirateghost, there is no long run in this case, the data will be moved, not replicated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi all,

I was wondering if this is possible: can I copy data from a Synology NAS to my FreeNAS using the CLI?
Both machines are running CIFS shares and are on the same network.

I'm thinking this is faster than using a Windows machine in between both NASes.
The data will be moved, not replicated, so I've no need for rsync.

I've managed to mount the external share using mount_smbfs, but how do I go about making sure the permissions are now set correctly? I'm no stranger to commandline, but FreeNAS/FreeBSD's permissions logic has me confused...
cp -Rp should do the trick, but you'll want to verify permissions, ctime, etc have been properly preserved. If permissions end up a bit wonky after the copy job, you can enter the share config page and "apply default permissions" on your share.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
You can use rsync to do the move. Rsync has the nice feature of checksumming the data plus preserving all the permissions,attributes and so on.
Only downside is it's dog slow compared to cp, but then again checksumming is also nice. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can use rsync to do the move. Rsync has the nice feature of checksumming the data plus preserving all the permissions,attributes and so on.
Only downside is it's dog slow compared to cp, but then again checksumming is also nice. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take checksum and resume features any day

Whatts

Dabbler
About 2TB of data will be moved, does anyone have a guesstimate how long it would take using rsync? (gigabit network)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their ideas and remarks. I'll make some time for this the coming weekend and get down to business.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
About 2TB of data will be moved, does anyone have a guesstimate how long it would take using rsync? (gigabit network)

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their ideas and remarks. I'll make some time for this the coming weekend and get down to business.

Nope. The factors that affect how fast it transfers is dependent on factors that are specific for your exact hardware and your exact data. I would like to think that it would finish in less than 24 hours though.

Status
Not open for further replies.