Convert RAID1 to RAID5 without having to reload from backups

twoblink

Cadet
I searched the forums and it says that you cannot convert from RAID1 to RAID5 directly. But the post was from 2012 so I was wondering if this still applies in 2020.

I had 2X8TB HDD's in mirror; and started backing up everything that "should" have had a backup; and found myself less than 2TB left and I haven't even backed up everything. So I purchased another drive, am I gonna need to basically wipe it all; rebuild with RAID 5; or can I muck with how zpool handles it and it will automagically solve this for me? Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I searched the forums and it says that you cannot convert from RAID1 to RAID5 directly. But the post was from 2012 so I was wondering if this still applies in 2020.

I had 2X8TB HDD's in mirror; and started backing up everything that "should" have had a backup; and found myself less than 2TB left and I haven't even backed up everything. So I purchased another drive, am I gonna need to basically wipe it all; rebuild with RAID 5; or can I muck with how zpool handles it and it will automagically solve this for me? Thanks.

FreeNAS doesn't support RAID1 or RAID5 at all.

ZFS uses mirrors for something that is similar to RAID1, and RAIDZ{1,2,3} for things that are vaguely similar to RAID5 and RAID6 and Does-Not-Exist in RAID-land.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Your pool is made out of one or more ZFS vdevs.

A mirror vdev is two or more disks. You can add and remove disks from the mirror, but they all have the same content. You are only changing the amount of redundancy.

A RAIDZ vdev is able to withstand the loss of 1, 2, or 3 member disks, depending on whether it's RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, or RAIDZ3. This is *NOT* the same as RAID5, and is a completely different technology. You cannot transform between RAIDZ levels or convert it to a mirror.

You can enlarge a vdev by replacing the component drives, one at a time, with larger drives and allow the system to resilver them.

You can also enlarge your pool by adding another vdev. However, once added, a vdev may not be removed.

twoblink

Cadet
So let me understand what you are telling me:

Let's say Drives A + B are mirrored; C is my new yet to be used drive.

I can "Break" my mirror between A and B.
I go ahead and install C
Make a vdev as a RAIDZ1 using Drives B and C
Copy everything from drive A to Drives B and C
Remove Drive A logically
Add Drive A back into the RAIDZ1 pool

Correct?

FreeNAS doesn't support RAID1 or RAID5 at all.

ZFS uses mirrors for something that is similar to RAID1, and RAIDZ{1,2,3} for things that are vaguely similar to RAID5 and RAID6 and Does-Not-Exist in RAID-land.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

Your pool is made out of one or more ZFS vdevs.

A mirror vdev is two or more disks. You can add and remove disks from the mirror, but they all have the same content. You are only changing the amount of redundancy.

A RAIDZ vdev is able to withstand the loss of 1, 2, or 3 member disks, depending on whether it's RAIDZ1, RAIDZ2, or RAIDZ3. This is *NOT* the same as RAID5, and is a completely different technology. You cannot transform between RAIDZ levels or convert it to a mirror.

You can enlarge a vdev by replacing the component drives, one at a time, with larger drives and allow the system to resilver them.

You can also enlarge your pool by adding another vdev. However, once added, a vdev may not be removed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I can "Break" my mirror between A and B.
Conceivably, yes.
Make a vdev as a RAIDZ1 using Drives B and C
You could, but you'd have an ultra-useless 2-wide RAIDZ1 vdev which will stay that way forever (or until someone does the RAIDZ expansion feature).

So, your overall plan is not feasible.

sretalla