Controller Question for new installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeinaz

Contributor
I am putting together a FreeNAS solution which will use 8 disks. I have a SuperMicro X10SAE motherboard and I am trying to decide the best way (of 3 methods) to attach my disks. My choices are:

1. Use the 8 onboard SATA controllers; My only concern is the onboard SATA ports are attached to 2 different controllers. I don't think FreeNAS cares but I want to get other opinions.

2. I have access to an IBM 6GB Performance Optimized HBA. (IBM part number 46M0912) This card is LSI 2008 based and has two SAS ports. It looks similar to other IBM 2008 based cards (M1015, M5014) but it has NO RAID capability.

3. I have an IBM 5014. I am not sure if there is a way to flash my 5014 in such a way where it can be put in IT mode.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am putting together a FreeNAS solution which will use 8 disks. I have a SuperMicro X10SAE motherboard and I am trying to decide the best way (of 3 methods) to attach my disks. My choices are:

1. Use the 8 onboard SATA controllers; My only concern is the onboard SATA ports are attached to 2 different controllers. I don't think FreeNAS cares but I want to get other opinions.

For those not wanting to look it up, that's an asmedia ASM1061.

2. I have access to an IBM 6GB Performance Optimized HBA. (IBM part number 46M0912) This card is LSI 2008 based and has two SAS ports. It looks similar to other IBM 2008 based cards (M1015, M5014) but it has NO RAID capability.

Sounds like it might be an option. https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

States "2x4 port SAS vertical, this is the M1015 but flashed to IT mode should be able to flash to anything the M1015 can., no cache no RAID". You'll want to cross-flash it to the proper firmware version.

3. I have an IBM 5014. I am not sure if there is a way to flash my 5014 in such a way where it can be put in IT mode.
RAID card. Don't bother with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.