Contents of one share appears in all shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

olmec

Cadet
Hi,

I have just installed Freenas 8 and it all went fine. Setup was pretty easy.
However, when I create an single share, and use the Ip filter to allow only one client, it works ok. When I add a second share and use the IP filter for the second client the contents of the first share appear in the second share as well.

??

I cannot understand why contents or file created in one share appears in the other. They do not appear to be duplicate files, instaed it looks as if multiple shares mean nothing and everything is visible from everywhere.
What is the purpose of this, am I missing something here.

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

chris0583

Dabbler
6 1 TB disk in a ZFS raid 5 pool mounted to /mnt/Archive_1

created SMB shares Media copied about 5.1 TB of data to it. Then created 3 new SMB shares Home-Videos, Persoanl, Apps,

olmec

Cadet
Create one share and copy some files to it. When I create another share it already contains the files from the first. I have 2 1TB drives mirrored. If I create a new directory in the second share it appears on the first.

I want to backup multiple departments, accounts and sales. The one mist not be able to view or access the other.

chris0583, if you're running 8.0, you're not setting it up properly.

With 8.0, you can only share datasets with samba, you only have one Archive_1 under the storage tab, click 'Create ZFS Dataset' then select the pool you want (Archive_1), enter a name for the dataset (Persoanl) the rest you can leave default and click the 'add dataset' button, repeat for all the shares you want to create.

Then go to the shares tab edit your existing shares. for each share use the drop down box 'Path' to select the proper dataset you created.

All you have to do is setup the permissions. let me know if you need help with that.

If you're running the latest beta, I believe you can make shares that are not datasets, I am not running the latest version, if you are having issues with the latest version let me know and I can load it into a VM and try to help you.

olmec, the same goes for you, just slightly different for your setup.

chris0583

Dabbler
Matthew,

Thanks for the info. It makes scene now.

Funny thing is, I looked at the latest build 8.01 Beta and tried to load it last night. I read the release noted and it did state you can make shares that are not datasets as well as I wanted to get rsync up and running.

I ran into a problem :-( Take a look at this post i made on the sourceforge BB.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=11309

I can create another Topic if need be on this. No one so far has been able to help me with this on the sourcefroge side. (cant blame anyone, not everyone is playing with freenas on a Sunday night) As of right now my freenas server is dead.

Matthew,

Thanks for the info. It makes scene now.

Funny thing is, I looked at the latest build 8.01 Beta and tried to load it last night. I read the release noted and it did state you can make shares that are not datasets as well as I wanted to get rsync up and running.

I ran into a problem :-( Take a look at this post i made on the sourceforge BB.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=11309

I can create another Topic if need be on this. No one so far has been able to help me with this on the sourcefroge side. (cant blame anyone, not everyone is playing with freenas on a Sunday night) As of right now my freenas server is dead.

i would create a new thread for this new problem here. that way more people will see it.

ezteok

Cadet
Hmm... Auxiliary Parameters? Works great here (v8).... or am i missing something? Just one volume (let's say vol1) and two shares (let's say share1 and share2) and then in the config (under Auxiliary Parameters) of each share enter "path = /mnt/vol1/sharename" thus "path = /mnt/vol1/share1" and "path = /mnt/vol1/share2". This will give you two separated shares with the name share1 and share2.

What are the benefits of different datasets for each share?

J

pauldonovan

Explorer
What are the benefits of different datasets for each share?

Datasets (or ZFS filesystems as they're known elsewhere) provide lots of features, but the best are probably snapshots, quotas and compression.

Snapshots allow you to capture a moment in time of the dataset so that you can revert to that point at a later date. They're also the basis of ZFS replication (copying data between pools and between machines).

Quotas allow you to set a virtual capacity, so you can for example limit your torrents dataset/share to 200GB so that you know that your downloads won't swamp the rest of your drive. Related to quotas are reserved space, so you can guarantee that a dataset will have a certain amount of space to use that won't be encroached upon by other shares against other datasets.

Compression allows you to set the level of compression on a dataset to save disk space. This is most useful for data that's not already compressed, like documents, not video files.

ZFS has a huge number of advantages over regular dumb filesystems like NTFS and HFS+. Datasets (filesystems) are just one part.

Paul

ezteok

Cadet
ZFS has a huge number of advantages over regular dumb filesystems like NTFS and HFS+. Datasets (filesystems) are just one part.

Of course, that was the reason(s) why i've upgrade from 7 to 8 (5TB without a upgrade option :( ) but that still does'nt explain to me why you must have a separated data set for each share. You don't need them i think. You could have one with a few hunderd shares on it and still have the benefits you mention with the data seperated as it should. Just use auxiliary parameters. True? That is how i setup things last weekend. One dataset with ten (or so) shares on it and data in one share doesn't show up in the other. Snapshots working like a charm.

J

pauldonovan

Explorer
So you want one dataset with different shares mapped to it, where each share provides different capabilities to different users? Sorry, maybe I'm being dumb ;-)

If that's the case then I think that ACLs are probably what you should be using. I'm not sure how you'd set them up though.

Edit: No, I just re-read the thread, it still looks like you're not getting the benefits of dataset properties. You said earlier when talking about samba auxiliary parameters:
"Just one volume (let's say vol1) and two shares (let's say share1 and share2) and then in the config (under Auxiliary Parameters) of each share enter "path = /mnt/vol1/sharename" thus "path = /mnt/vol1/share1" and "path = /mnt/vol1/share2".

That's still only using one dataset. What if you want to set a quota of 100GB on share1, and share2 contains thousands of Word documents that would benefit from a high ZFS compression setting? You're not able to do that with the way you're doing it.

Another point would be that not everyone wants to use SMB to create their shares. I use AFP. Each to their own I guess.

Paul

ezteok

Cadet
That is not what i want Paul, that is what i have :) With one set, 10 shares, different users and FreeNAS version 8. It was not a question, i was just wondering why someone wrote that you should have a different dataset for each share. IMHO this is not the case when you using those auxiliary parameters (just one line for each share, no big deal).

J

ezteok

Cadet
That's still only using one dataset. What if you want to set a quota of 100GB on share1, and share2 contains thousands of Word documents that would benefit from a high ZFS compression setting? You're not able to do that with the way you're doing it.

That's correct, there is only one some sort of 'general' option working this way for everything that is on the set. But i could'nt found this need in the question of the topic starter. In my case i don't care to be honest, the most important reason why i'm (mis)using FreeNAS is the iscsi target part together with VMWare 4.1 ESXi. More like a low budget SAN so to speak :) At the office i'm using a NetAPP (n3300 series) and i was really curious how the snapshot mechanism of FreeNAS works in combination with extents. Unfortunately 48 hours is'nt that long so the real testing must wait till next weekend :( Anyway, if you only have one set and the need for different shares and still want to use the benefits of ZFS but don't have special needs for each share use Auxiliary Parameters. That's better? :)

J

Status
Not open for further replies.