Connection to domain keeps dropping, can't reconnect without reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbradford

Cadet
I've been trying to solve an issue with one of our freenas systems for about a month now, to no avail. We have two systems, both are new builds. The problem is only occurring on one, not the other.

The connection to active directory seems to randomly drop approximately every few days. The shares become unavailable and the only resolution I've found so far is to reboot the system. This can't be a long term issue because I'm already sick of having to check this box every day to see if it needs to be rebooted or not.

When I enabled verbose logging, /var/log/messages contains a single entry, in addition to the usual service start messages ...

Jul 19 12:18:39 freenas uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: Active Directory restart timed out after 180 seconds.]

I've yet to find any other posts with exactly the same problem, where AD works fine for a little while, then refuses to work. After reading a few other posts, I've disabled monitoring to see what effect that will have. We have two DC's and two locations connected via dedicated VPN. There is a DC at each location. The problem is only occurring at one location, not the other. I even tried setting the domain controler setting to point at the local DC, but it seems to have no effect on the issue.

I'm sure I could track down the problem if I could find some useful log messages or error information. Does anyone know the above message really means? Is there another log somewhere that might give me some useful information about what's going wrong?

Thanks

--Chris B.

D

dlavigne

Is "Enable Monitoring" checked? If so, try unchecking it.

cbradford

Cadet
From my post above ...

"After reading a few other posts, I've disabled monitoring to see what effect that will have."

Do you think this could be the issue? I just disabled it today, so hopefully the box will go a few days without dropping AD.

Thanks

--Chris B.

cbradford

Cadet
Thanks for the info ... I think that may be it.

I also discovered that the offending DC had an outdated IP alias in addition to it's actual IP, and this second IP was showing up in SRV DNS queries. I removed the outdated alias, so perhaps that would also have an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.